KCON, the first-ever large-scale convention dedicated to the hottest entertainment coming out of Asia including K-pop music, Korean dramas (K-dramas) and movies was held over past weekend on October 13 in Irvine, CA at the Verizon Amphitheater.
- More than 10,000 fans attended the sold out convention and concert.
- Over 150,000 viewers tuned in for the concert’s live stream via Mnet America’s newly launched MCube digital portal.
- More than 76,000 viewers went to MCube to view live streams from the convention via the Backstage Pass app.
- “KCON” trended worldwide on Twitter during the October 13th convention.
- 70 special guests and speakers were in attendance from all across the entertainment industry, including K-Pop, J-Pop, anime, dance, fashion, digital video and more.
- Over 15 musical artists performed including 6 of the hottest idol acts from Korea.
- 15 International fan clubs were present, recruiting new members
- 50+ merchant booths set-up shop.
- 3,500 meal tickets were sold to fans that enjoyed the Asian-themed specialties of 7 food trucks – including “Great Food Truck Race” winner Seoul Sausage.
- $100,000-plus in official merchandise was sold.
KCON was a full-day event ranging from autograph signing sessions, celebrity panels to contests and fan workshops aimed at everyone from the super fan of K-pop and Asian Pop Culture to those ready to be initiated into the global Korean Wave. A star-studded K-pop concert with performances by 4Minute, VIXX, EXO-M, G.NA, Nu’est and B.A.P closed off the milestone Korean Wave event.
“KCON proving to be such a success underlines strong direction K-Pop and the Korean Wave are headed in the United States,” said Ted Kim, acting president and CEO of Mnet America.“We look forward to bringing the fans an even better event next year.”
The event was produced by Mnet America, a youth entertainment brand for all things Asian cool, which includes the only national, English-language lifestyle television network in the U.S. for fans of Asian pop culture.
Watch the event recap video below: