News

EXO Kris and SM Entertainment’s lawyers meet to settle lawsuit

By  |

The lawsuit between EXO’s Kris and SM Entertainment may be mutually settled before it escalates to a trial.

Hangook Sports reported that Kris’s and SM Entertainment’s legal representatives were summon by the Seoul Central District Court on June 11 to encourage a settlement between the two parties.

The outcome of the settlement has yet been announced as both sides need to submit how they want the case to be settled. Seoul Central District Court will then draft up an arbitration and it will be up to the parties to decide whether they want to settle.

It is a common legal procedure for the parties to meet and try to settle the case without proceeding to court.

Kris submitted a lawsuit against his agency last month on May 15 claiming that SM overworked him and never considered his opinions.

“The company has treated me like a machine part or as an object of control rather than presenting a vision as an entertainer,” the 24-year-old singer whose real name is Kris was quoted as saying in the submission.

The singer, who was recruited into the company at the age of 16 in 2007 said that his contract should be annulled because he wasn’t in equal position when negotiating the terms of his contract.

SM Entertainment was quick to deny the allegations this morning but has since confirmed that it was looking into the facts.

“We are perplexed by the incident … we will do our best to keep EXO’s activities on track.” An S.M. Entertainment spokesperson said.

It was reported earlier this week that Kris was spotted in Moscow on his way to film a Chinese movie called ‘Somewhere Only We Know’.

Follow the Kris vs. SM Entertainment saga here.

Hellokpop, as an independent Korean entertainment news website (without influence from any agency or corporation), we need your support! If you have enjoyed our work, consider to support us with a one-time or recurring donation from as low as US$5 to keep our site going! Donate securely below via Stripe, Paypal, Apple Pay or Google Wallet.

27 Comments

1. lala

June 18, 2014 at 1:16 am

After seeing these posts, I realized how young many of you must be. It is incredible to watch you young people defending Kris’s behaviour. But when you reach your 30s and have a real job, you will understand how unbelievably irresponsible he was.

Everybody can leave the job. But “how you leave” is very important. Kris picked the worst time to leave, fully understanding how it can hurt the rest of the members and their hard work. Kris is not just irresponsible–he is almost scary.

2. YOUROCKKRIS

June 15, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Well, everyone is hurt including SM. By the way, EXO are not children. They have been through SM trainee time. I believe they are much tougher than any of us. So don’t treat them like babies and don’t feel sorry or pity for them. I doubt they will be happy about it.

3. OnlyChic

June 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm

honestly I just want this whole situation to blow over. its already too late for Kris to comeback. the damage has been done so its time for him and EXO to go their separate ways.

even if he did come back, his members will never trust him again and EXO’s fans nor the public will ever see him more than a “traitor”.

and for people who are spreading ridiculous rumors about EXO tormenting Kris or SM being slave drivers or whatever on tumblr, i think this will be a good read for you

4. Giam

June 15, 2014 at 2:04 pm

You do realize that, in the eyes of other people and other fandoms, being an Exotic apparently automatically puts you in the category of ‘crazy obsessed fan’? I am an Exotic, and I actually feel ashamed to be one thanks to a lot of the sasaeng fans out there that the normal fans are lump with.

I’m not going to give my opinion about Kris’ situation, because I honestly don’t have one. Whatever happens will happen, and there’s nothing we can do about it.

5. nasha

June 14, 2014 at 11:25 am

Look first of all most of these kpop stars aren’t even treated as humans. The companies work them to the bone and they don’t even have enough money to afford any luxury or a decent life style. Even dogs are treated better. They treat them as a human zoo where all the profit goes to the owners and the pets are left with scraps. Most people enter the entertainment industry obviously because they like it but they also want to get rich and have a decent life style. Kris who is the only one who has lived in the west and knows when to speak up for himself unlike his band mates who are just slaves. His bandmates know this is how it is in Korea and so they don’t dare challenge the status quo. This would have happened eventually because the companies are not only swindling the money but their life aswell. Look in the west even the most unknown artist are making a living because the concert and merchandize money goest mostly to the artist. But in Korea most famous artist can’t even afford rent.

6. Specz

June 14, 2014 at 9:48 am

Before reading: not trying to do the battle of essay or start an argument

Firstly these are some of the reasons why you get bashed. Statements like “He has a heart condition? That’s really sad. Honestly. But I guess it’s ok enough to go about filming with another company and flying to different countries.” doesn’t really help and calling people naive and childish because they believe that SM is to blame for all of this isn’t the way forward either. That’s there opinion too you know.You can’t change the fact that they have had a lot more lawsuit then other companies and always seem to have a problem with there contracts.
    Secondly when did I say my theory was better than yours?
    The problem is not what you say but how you say it. Within debates like this you have people  who like to generalise fans which isn’t correct, people who are biased to the point where it’s just uncalled for (to provoke) and people who gets sensitive and if you think about it, yes the rest of the members have a lot of pressure but there is 11 of them to console each other kris is on his own hence the message he stated at the beginning to his fans. That’s why people will bash
    Like i mentioned before I do understand what your saying, like there are crazy fans but I feel like its because some people state there opinions like its a fact or like they know exactly what Exo members or kris are/were thinking or know whats really happening.

7. krisgaesaekki

June 13, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Betrayal.11 members worth nothing more than a movie.

8. Irene Nguyen

June 13, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Ugh shut up like how are you going to put the majority of exos fans in a box like that you sound stupid? I guess you go in that box too since you are a fan of everyone except kris. “Immature, children,” but yet you are here right along with the fans trying to argue a point with a fucking essay.

9. Samantha Marie

June 13, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I’m not saying it’s wrong of him to move on. By all means. I personally don’t believe he’ll be coming back to EXO and I think everyone needs to stop hoping that will happen. It’s clearly not what he wants and it’s apparent that it’s not the healthiest option for him. Why would fans want him to come back to that situation? And as was mentioned before, he could feel uncomfortable around people who ‘talk bad’ about him. Again, as a fan, why would you want to put someone with a heart condition through that stress? Let him go if he wants. It’s his choice as an adult.

I’ve mentioned this before to someone else who was clearly mature enough to have a conversation about it; I hope he proves me wrong. I hope he didn’t just leave them so he can pursue a career in his own country like a lot of other people have led me to believe (the more they tell me the more it makes sense). I hope that he becomes the martyr that all these fans are making him out to be. ‘He made it easier on them by leaving like a bad person’…that sounds as plausible as the other theories I’ve heard. So what makes your theory better than mine? You’ve said it yourself. There’s no proof either way. So why am I getting bashed?? Because people in this fandom only like to look at one side of things instead of being open minded about both sides. Anything is possible in this situation. People need to be prepared for both outcomes. It’s reality. Something a lot of EXO fans, and intense fans in general, don’t seem to grasp completely. Either everything is roses and petals, or it’s death to all who oppose. But it’s like I said before; I hope he proves me wrong because there’s nothing more I would like than people to stop whining about how everyone is against him or OT12. That puts a lot of unneeded pressure and stress on the 11 remaining members.

10. Becca

June 13, 2014 at 12:51 pm

the funny thing here is that most of the people comment as if they are SM or Kris or EXO. I don’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings but I think we have no right to criticize anyone on this issue. they are all human beings and they have their own right to make choices. the relationship between members and kris is non of our business. it’s something personal and they will handle it themselves. we can’t decide weather they will act as nothing has happened of they’ll forgive or so on. the only issue right now is weather kris will be back or not. either of these happen, WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT and we have no right to criticize kris for his decision or sm for its acts. if you are a true exotic, then act like one. as an exotic, it doesn’t matter how much you’ve been hurt with this issue and how hard it is, you have to support EXO AND KRIS because even if he leaves, he used to be one time leader and has done so much for the group and you know nothing about his true feelings. I didn’t want to compare but just to mention, have you ever seen an ELF that says super junior is 12 and not 13? or it’s 11 not 13? no, you won’t because they believe in the group they’re supporting and they know every single person has the right to change his path. sorry that my comment is so long but I had to say it.

11. Samantha Marie

June 13, 2014 at 12:49 pm

And at the end of the day, as I’ve already mentioned, you prove my point about the majority of EXO fans. You make the fandom proud, I’m sure. And people like you are the reason I refuse to join fandoms. Most of them are just crazy, immature, children who don’t know how to have a conversation. =^.^=

12. Mei

June 13, 2014 at 11:30 am

in the end of the day you’re only a bystander who don’t know shit about these idols and what’s going on in their life you wrote a whole 3 paragraph to express your hate about Kris just shut the fuck up and take a chill pill.

13. Rebekah K.

June 13, 2014 at 5:26 am

Excuse me, you do realize that holding an entire fandom accountable for the actions of a few of its members isn’t entirely correct either, right? I am 19 years of age and I consider myself to be a calm, cool and collected fan so I don’t appreciate the generalization… not all fans are crazy, obsessed and rude to the people who don’t share their opinion. I don’t agree with the usage of name calling given by the person above so don’t lump me into the same category as that person please! As for my opinion of this whole situation, it’s Kris’ health that’s the most important thing right now so if he has a better quality of life only doing acting then so be it. I will support his efforts and not be so quick to judge him. However, I do feel that he should have at least told Tao, Tao is going to be so lost without him, and I seriously doubt he would have told SM about it if Kris explained his reason for leaving. Tao and the rest of Exo-M would want him to live a longer life, even if it meant leaving. I just feel that he could have told someone he trusted, that’s all.

14. Kristal Liu

June 13, 2014 at 1:04 am

If you are about to do a lawsuit you arent supposed to go around telling everyone. Im sure he was advised not to say anything and I agree with Specz in saying that had he told the members one of them or some i think Suho most definetly would have gone to the company, and what have been a bigger issue than it is now. He doesnt owe them anything the members dont seem to be as close as they put on, with the Chinese members Im sure he has that bond but the rest idk.

15. Specz

June 12, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Who told you that hangeng still keeps in contact with super junior? Each case is different hence a different response will follow.
    See this is the thing you say this as if you know what happens behind closed doors. We don’t know so we can’t just assume. There is also a possibility that maybe his lawyer told him not to speak in regards to Exo. This is why I feel like  he didn’t tell his members in the first place because one of them (suho) would have surely let the company know.
    I don’t want this to sound like an excuse for him because he does know the consequences of his action and like you said he knows that means complete cut off from SM but likewise the member probably won’t be allowed to contact him again even of he did tell them or not I guess he made it easier on them leave like the bad person so that they have a reason to forget about him who knows.
    Also please tell me what company will allow for a negotiation of a contact when it concerns being paid more at this stage of his career.  They will just dismiss it which I think they have done.
    Do you even know how long lawsuit can last for that you want him to sit at home and do nothing.  Exo have forcibly moved on why can’t he do the same?  And for those of you who don’t know the difference in stress levels of being a idol and being an actor I’ll give you a hint actors get a break idols don’t.
    All in all you may be right but in situations like this you can’t be one sided because there are no facts

16. TheVoiceOfReason

June 12, 2014 at 7:13 pm

And they say intelligent and calm conversations can’t be had with EXO fans. This is the problem with this fandom. Everyone is crazy and takes things to the extreme. People are afraid to speak up and post there opinions because every ‘exotic’ is crazy and can’t talk in a calm way or hold a debate. It’s either ‘you think the same way or you get ostracized’. What is wrong with you people?

17. dony

June 12, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Bitch shut up close your big mouth

18. Aileen

June 12, 2014 at 11:35 am

Seriously. If he wanted to settle the situation, then he wouldn’t have done it behind his own members’ backs. He wants out of Exo and we (the fans) just have to deal with it.

19. Amanda Olvera

June 12, 2014 at 10:27 am

So what your saying is that the members seem happy with out Kris..

20. Samantha Marie

June 12, 2014 at 10:08 am

They are children. They’ve been hurt by someone they loved and were very close to. It doesn’t matter if it’s to the press or to themselves, they have a right to be upset and talk about it. He left without saying a word to anyone. If he respected his group members, he could’ve at lease told them his plans. After he left, he could’ve sent them a message of apology but I have a feeling he just cut them off cold turkey. You can try to act all high and mighty, but you know you’d be pissed at your friend/family too if they did the same to you. Kris doesn’t want to come back. He filed for a termination. Not a negotiation. That means he’s done completely with the company and he knows damn well what that means with relations to the other members. Complete cut off. I’ve never been a fan of either of the leaders. I mostly felt bad in Suho’s case though. You can tell that Suho had to pull teeth just to get Kris involved in things. In just Showtime alone I could see that Kris was done with it. You can’t say that it’s bullying of a Chinese member either. Because there are three others in the group who would be in the same position. He has a heart condition? That’s really sad. Honestly. But I guess it’s ok enough to go about filming with another company and flying to different countries. How many times have the other members been hurt and had to go to the hospital as well? SM took care of them so what makes Kris the black sheep of the group? Why is he the martyr? You say that he gets denied projects? He is promoted as the leader of M and has had many variety show appearances and interviews all over the place. Have you thought that maybe he’s denied scripts for films and shows because he’s not good enough? I mean, look at Suho. His life’s ambition is to be an actor. He’s not that great either. I’m sure he’s denied just as much as Kris is.

I just think that blaming it all on SM is naive and childish. Kris is an adult. Has been for a while now. He’s well aware of the consequences of his decisions. If he wanted to be an actor, he should’ve debuted as an actor and not a rapper.

Another thing…If he really did care about the members when he left (or even now when he’s already moving on with his life), he should have made a statement or a comment on any number of his social media accounts telling his fans to lay off the crazy accusations against his old members. I have never seen or heard such hateful things in my life. Accusing Chanyeol of molesting his ‘non existent’ niece and verbally attacking Yixing’s mother…it’s disgusting and ridiculous. But he didn’t step up and say anything. Which is even more proof that his role as a hyung in EXO should be over. When Hangeng left or JYJ split apart, you didn’t see any of this, did you? Hell, at least Hangeng keeps in touch with his former members.

21. kim

June 12, 2014 at 6:51 am

i don’t mind if he comes back or not but one thing for sure is that it will affect the group.

22. Maijun Jamdee

June 12, 2014 at 6:03 am

The media kind of pressured them about the situation though. I mean, they sort of… forced EXO to say their thoughts…? It looked like they were slightly pained to say them.

23. Maijun Jamdee

June 12, 2014 at 6:00 am

If they come to a compromise that both parties are happy with, then yes, he will come back. Thing is though, It won’t really be the seem when he comes back. I mean, have you seen the members during the time of the announcement?

24. EXO 12 Hyungs Fighting

June 12, 2014 at 4:31 am

I agree with Nia. As a fan I definitely want Kris to come back and EXO to become 12 again…but I am being selfish here because its not what Kris wants. Unless SM compromise with Kris’s expectations then he won’t return because Kris sated he was being ‘treated as a machine part’ which I agree with. If SM win then Kris will be back. If Kris wins, he possibly will be back but on his terms. Or then no coming back. I wish Kris and EXO the best. Hopefully everything will happen for the best. Considering that Kris is my fave, I really want him back.

25. Ashley

June 12, 2014 at 3:55 am

they couldve stayed quiet they didnt need to make negative commentary about Kris so i agree with that

26. Nia

June 12, 2014 at 3:44 am

I dont think he’ll come back I think relationships have been tested and they wont treat him the same and too much tension I would not want to return to members who had so much trash to talk about me without knowing the full story he cant trust them it sucks. Best to go with a Chinese company and move on they woudnt have denied him projects to expand himself like sm , sometimes sm methods are just ugh

27. shaniwu

June 12, 2014 at 2:36 am

if its settled…does it mean he’ll come back??