K-News Weekly Headlines: T.O.P & Kim Soo Hyun’s Military Service Completion + Twice & The Boyz’ Concert Performances
The first week of July has been met with all kinds of exciting news: comebacks and tour announcements, record-breaking achievements, and exciting sneak peeks into upcoming K-Dramas.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from June 30 to July 6
- DAY6 To Pull Everyone Into Its Live Music Through Gravity World Tour
Get ready to sink deeper into the charms of Day6 this 2019 as the boys bring their jaw-dropping and spectacular live performances to various cities all over the world through their second world tour titled Gravity.
- KNK To Kick Off Sunrise Tour In Europe This August
Answering to the fans’ earnest wishes, Seoham, Inseong, Jihun, Heejun and Dongwon are set to brighten up six cities with KNK Sunrise Tour in Europe. Fans will have the opportunity to hear the band’s powerful live performances including songs from their latest album.
- Super Junior To Stage Super Show 7S In Saudi Arabia
Marking their first ever concert in the Arabian peninsula, Super Junior is set to participate in a major festival. Additionally, it will be the first time a K-Pop group will stage a concert in Saudi Arabia.
- NOIR Returns To Manila For An Exciting Fan Meeting And Concert
NOIR is coming back for more as they return to the Philippines for a fan meeting AND a concert that their fans will surely enjoy through the 2019 NOIR Meet & Live Tour “The Ninth”, happening on August 10 at the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila’s Grand Plaza Ballroom.
- SF9 Lights Up Fantasies’ Galaxies With Dates And Locations For UNIXERSE Asia Tour
Titled 2019 SF9 Live Fantasy #2 UNIXERSE, the tour will take Youngbin, Inseong, Jaeyoon, Dawon, Zuho, Rowoon, Taeyang, Hwiyoung and Chani to a total of six cities in Asia to showcase their various talents.
- Jung Hae In Brews Something Sweet For His Philippine Fans In September
Event organizer Wilbros Live, dropped the surprise announcement in the afternoon of July 5, delighting the fans of the actor. Keeping his promise to meet his Philippine fans again, Jung Hae In makes his second fan meeting in the country.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- TWICE Stages A Delightfully Colorful Debut Stage In Manila
Filipino ONCEs had quite a celebration as the girls of TWICE shone their lights on the Philippine concert stage for the very first time. Gifting their fans with three hours of exhilarating performances and colorful stages, the “Fancy” nonet truly made their debut in Manila unforgettable.
- The Boyz Weaved A Happy Ending Full Of Enchanting Memories With Filipino Fans For The Last Stop Of The Castle Tour In Manila
Marking the last stop of their The Boyz Asia Fan-Con Tour [The Castle], the group greeted their Filipino fans on June 30 at the New Frontier Theatre with a grand set of showcases as a royal treat.
- WINNER Kickstarts 7-City Tour In Japan With A Resounding Stop In Tokyo
Officially initiating the seven-city Japan tour this year, the band marked the first stop of WINNER Japan Tour 2019. Moreover, newly-arranged songs to the band’s signature sound and vocals will be highlighted in the tour.
K-Pop News Corner
- AB6IX’s Park Woo Jin To Have Limited Participation In Group Schedules Due To Injury
Following the thorough medical examination he took, Park Woo Jin’s ankle has been diagnosed with a posterior ankle ligament injury – specificallly, a syndesmotic sprain. His current condition has required the idol to focus on treatment while receiving as much rest as possible.
- EXO Members Make Everyone Emotional As They Send D.O. Off To The Army
In addition to EXO-L, D.O.’s brothers — the EXO members — left their well-wishes and messages for the singer-actor who officially became the second member to enlist following their eldest hyung Xiumin who also recently completed his basic training.
- Stray Kids Release “TMT” Music Video Filmed In Los Angeles
As a special treat to Stays all around the world, the group released a special music video for one of their b-side tracks from Clé 2: Yellow Wood on July 1. Filmed in several locations around Los Angeles, the music video gave fans yet another cinematic experience with its summery colors and aesthetics.
- IZ*ONE Bags Top Spot On Japan’s Weekly Oricon Chart
Peaking at the top spot of Oricon Daily Single Charts upon its release on June 26, “Buenos Aires” subsequently tops the weekly chart for the period of June 24-30. The girls now join Twice and BTS which also achieved the impressive sales from their respective music releases.
- BTS Earns Their Very Own “Star” On Dubai’s Walk Of Fame
BTS has just added another huge accolade to their long list of worldwide recognition as they became the latest personalities to have their names up in Dubai’s star-studded Walk of Fame. The boy group will officially have their name up on the upcoming Dubai Stars attraction, as revealed by their official Twitter account on July 2.
- EXO’s D.O. Dominates International Charts With “That’s Okay”
Almost immediately, “That’s Okay” has received a warm response from Korean and international fans. The song charted on major Korean music sites and soared to the top of international iTunes charts in sixteen different regions.
- Kang Daniel Fills Calendar With Ambassador Appointment Activities In Busan
Kang Daniel’s stint as Busan City’s newest public relations ambassador is officially starting – and it is already filling up his schedule of activities for this month! Additionally, Busan Tourism Organization is introducing a special city tour brought together by the former Wanna One member himself.
- EXO’s Suho Named As Ambassador For Upcoming “Suncheon Bay International Animal Film Festival”
EXO’s Suho has been named as the ambassador for the upcoming Suncheon Bay International Animal Film Festival. He is set to help out in the promotional activities of the festival to be held in Suncheon, the ecological capital of Korea.
- MONSTA X Members Shownu And I.M Soothe Fans By Lending Their Voices To New Audio Books
MONSTA X members Shownu and I.M will be comforting fans with their heartwarming participation in new audio books bearing a very touching reason! The two expressed that they wanted to be of any help to the blind who are the main audience of the audio books, even though they were in the midst of a busy schedule.
- BTS Dominates Music Charts With A Series Of New Releases This Week
Since releasing a slew of new music for everyone to enjoy, BTS has soared to the top of the charts. With their brand new releases, BTS once again establishes their phenomenal influence by dominating major music charts in Japan and South Korea.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- Day6 Announces Comeback And World Tour Announcement
After such a long wait, the group finally announced on July 1 that they will be returning with their fifth mini-album. Titled The Book of Us: Gravity, it is set to drop and serve as their first comeback for the year on July 15. The group simultaneously revealed that they will embark on a new world tour following their return.
- MONSTA X’s Hyungwon And VIXX’s Hongbin Unveil Teaser Photos And Music Video For “Cool Love” Collab
MONSTA X’s Hyungwon and VIXX’s Hongbin took the “electrifying” in “electrifying blue” to the next level with their top-tier visuals in the newest teaser photos for their upcoming collaboration previewed on June 30!
- EXO’s Baekhyun Releases New Teasers And More Details For City Lights
Intensifying the excitement surrounding his solo debut, singer-actor Baekhyun, through SM Entertainment, dropped additional details about his new mini album, along with breathtaking photographs and a concept film.
- Everything You Need To Know About I.O.I’s Upcoming Reunion
Under the management of Swing Entertainment and STUDIO BLU, the Produce 101 alumni will be returning to the music scene to release brand new music. The girls have been hard at work preparing for their reunion, and they have been letting their loyal fans know that new music is on the way.
- NCT 127 Joins Ava Max As Featured Artists In Empowering “So Am I” Collaboration
NCT 127 recently teamed up with American singer Ava Max for a new version of her track “So Am I”! Its lyric video was unveiled on July 3 local time, which gave fans a first listen to the collaboration, plus a peek at its inspiring message.
- MAMAMOO Lend Their Voices To Search: WWW Soundtrack
This July, MAMAMOO is making their entry into K-Drama soundtracks as they lend their voices to the Search:WWW soundtrack! The quartet became one of the many powerful women artists to contribute to the K-Drama’s soundtrack.
- After School’s Gaeun To Release Solo Track Following Her Departure From Pledis Entertainment
After eight years, After School’s Lee Gaeun is officially parting ways with Pledis Entertainment. Before her departure from the entertainment company, the singer will be releasing one last song as a gift for her ever-loyal fans.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Sneak Peek: Designated Survivor: 60 Days, Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung,
- K-Drama Mid-Series Check: Search: WWW, Partners For Justice 2,
- When The Devil Calls Your Name Unveils Nefariously Intriguing Drama Poster
The poster released shows the two actors, in a black and white contrast, engage in a conversation as Park Sung Woong whispers something to Jung Kyung Ho, who has a serious expression on his face. Also seen in the poster are the true images of the devil and Ha Rip, who is actually older than what people see.
- Arthdal Chronicles Continues Its Popularity Reign For Fifth Consecutive Week
Based on the survey conducted by Good Data Corporation, Arthdal Chronicles is still currently the most popular drama. The gathered data came from 34 currently airing dramas aired between June 24 to June 30. Tallied results came from online articles, blogs, SNS & video responses.
- Jeon Jeong So Clinches Lead Role In A Hollywood Movie
Scheduled to star in Call with Park Shin Hye, Jeon Jeong So will return after her shooting schedule in the United States. She will star alongside Kate Hudson, Craig Robinson, and Ed S Crane to name a few. She is set to portray the role of a woman with strange powers who escapes an asylum.
- Jung So Min Completes Cast Of SBS Variety Show Little Forest
Jung So Min is confirmed to appear in Little Forest, a variety show that revolves around a daycare center that is environment-friendly. The cast will take care of the kids as they play and enjoy nature.
- Hotel Del Luna Drops Engaging Drama Points That Fans Can Look Forward To
Headlined by Lee Ji Eun (IU) and Yeo Jin Goo, Hotel Del Luna highlights fantasy and romance expected to beguile the viewers. Expect hilarious moments in this new series even with its spooky elements. After all, watching the interactions between living people serving paranormal guests is already engaging on paper.
- Welcome 2 Life Flashes Character Posters Of Rain, Lim Ji Yeon & Kwak Si Yang
On July 5, the network dropped character photo teasers of Jung Ji Hoon (Rain), Lim Ji Yeon and Kwak Si Yang. Playing two characters of different personalities is one of the drawing points of the series, which is evident in the character posters released.
- Strangers From Hell Completes First Table-Read With Im Si Wan And Lee Dong Wook
In the first script-reading session, the production team shared how the cast were fully immersed in their characters. Inviting the audience to anticipate the kind of work in the series, they promise to create a realistic project that would be engaging for the audience.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Kim Soo Hyun Completes Military Service, Aims For Comeback In Early 2020
The popular Korean actor graced a quick meeting on July 1 in front of Imjingak Peace Bell in Paju. Relaying his comeback project plans, Kim Soo Hyun responds not having any decisions yet. “I will postpone it to be in good shape, and I will be active early next year,” he said.
- Lee Min Ho Takes New PR Ambassador Role For King Sejong Institute
Appointed as the new public relations ambassador, Lee Min Ho prepares to promote King Sejong Institute Foundation to the world. Additionally, he will participate in the production of Korean language and culture learning contents.
- Park Yoo Chun Receives Probation Sentence For Illegal Drug Use
Released after 68 days of detention, Park Yoo Chun was sentenced to probation for drug abuse. In the morning of July 2nd, a criminal trial against Park for the alleged violation of the Anti-Narcotics Control Law was held at Suwon District Court.
- ASTRO Members MJ And Sanha To Star In Their New Variety Show
ASTRO members MJ and Sanha will be hosting their very own digital variety show through tvN D called Blanket Kicking Night (literal title). The group’s oldest and youngest member will be pairing up to ease viewers’ embarrassment and help them sleep at night through a new variety show..
- BTS Gives Sneak Peek At Bring The Soul Movie With New Trailer
BTS unveiled the trailer for their upcoming film Bring The Soul on July 3 KST! Bringing the anticipation up further for the film’s worldwide release on August 7, the boy group gave fans a quick look at what to expect from their third concert movie.
- ATEEZ Makes Wave With US TV Show Debut On Good Day New York
ATEEZ made their US morning show debut on FOX5’s Good Day New York. The K-pop group just made their landing on the US television scene on June 3 local time with their visit to the hit morning show.
- MONSTA X Were As Fluffy As These Puppies In Their Latest Teaser Video For Upcoming Web Show
The seven members of MONSTA X showed off their cute chemistry with puppies in the newest teaser video for their upcoming web show MONSTA X’s Puppy Days! The boy group excitedly basked in the sunlight and greeted Mother Nature as they prepare to spend a fun day in the countryside.
- Life Goes On For Song Joong Ki & Song Hye Kyo After Divorce News Breaks
The Song-Song couple is not letting their personal life get in the way of work. Many were surprised when Song Joong Ki started filming for his upcoming movie The Victory. Meanwhile, Song Hye Kyo is also busy with her own schedule.
- Ailee Admits Getting Pressured In Releasing A New Track After Goblin OST’s Huge Success
Casually talking with drinks on the side, Ailee has shared her most recent happenings. “These days, I’m getting ready for my comeback. Since I’m coming back after so long, my expectations are really high,” she said.
- Kim Young Kwang Loved His Fans From The Beginning, Expresses Gratitude For Recently Concluded Drama
He said, “I’ve loved you since the beginning of the drama. I persevered even though it was a great challenge for me to understand the disability of my character. I’m thankful for the guidance and support of many people. I was able to finish it successfully until the end.”
- MONSTA X’s Hyungwon Shares His Food Preferences, Mealtime Stories With Groupmates, And More In Allure Korea Interview
Taking in several queries gathered earlier by the magazine from fans, the MONSTA X singer held a quick question-and-answer portion in a five-minute video centering on the topic of food!
- Quick Reviews: Vanilla Acoustic’s “Cobalt Blue”, Purple Beck’s “Crystal Ball”, and Chungha’s “Flourishing”
- Idol List: 8 K-pop Male Idols And Their Iconic High Notes That Slayed Our Entire Existence
Two, three, or four octaves higher definitely do not matter for these talented vocalists. Proving from time to time that they can always be entrusted with even the most vein-popping notes, these male idols’ vocal prowess and abilities are things that always leave fans gawking over and over again.
How does this story make you feel?