K-News Weekly Headlines: Song-Song Couple Divorce, Park Bo Gum Concludes Asia Tour, MONSTA X’s TWOTUCKGOM & More
Korean entertainment news of the past week was met with long-awaited comebacks and heartbreaking news.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from June 23 to 29
- H.O.T. To Stage Second Concert In September
On June 24, production company Salt Innovation confirmed H.O.T.’s upcoming concert will be staged in September this year. Members Moon Hee Jun, Jang Woo Hyuk, An Seung Ho (Tony An), An Chil Hyun (Kangta) and Lee Jae Won will once again perform on stage for their ardent fans.
- SEVENTEEN To Weave Memorable Stories Through Ode To You World Tour
- KARD Invites Indian Fans To Play Your KARD Right
Pink Box Events, supported by Korean Cultural Centre India (the Embassy of the Republic of South Korea) has announced the most anticipated K-pop event, titled Play Your KARD Right Tour with idol group KARD.
- 2019 NU’EST Segno In Singapore Ticketing And Fan Benefits
NU’EST preps up for their anticipated first solo concert at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on August 24. It is not the first time that NU’EST will visit Singapore but it’s going to be their first solo concert.
- Apink’s Chorong And Bomi Team Up For A Taipei Fan Meeting
Taiwanese Pink Pandas can look forward to a treat, as Apink’s Chorong and Bomi gear up for a fan meeting in their country! Plan M Entertainment has confirmed that the two are indeed preparing for a fan meet like no other, and they are taking their talents to Taipei.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- Park Bo Gum In Manila Pitches Beautiful Encounter & Party Like No Other
Fulfilling his initial promise, the last stop of his Asian tour proved to be MORE THAN just a GOOD DAY. Gifting a 3-hour showcase of his smarts and skills, Park Bo Gum made sure that it would become a spellbinding moment for him and his faithful supporters.
- Park Bo Gum Gifts 50,000 Fans With “Good Days” At His 2019 Asia Tour
Hallyu star Park Bo Gum had successfully wrapped up his 2019 Park Bo Gum “Good Day” Asia Tour in nine cities. For six months, he left every attendees awe-inspired and brought home special memory with every city he went to.
- (G)I-DLE Opens Up About The Inspirations Behind Latest Comeback, “Uh-Oh”
On June 28, (G)I-DLE returned to the music scene with “Uh-Oh”! To celebrate their new music, the group held a showcase at the Blue Square iMarket Hall, where they shared their inspirations for the song.
- Hyolyn Hypes Malaysia With 1st World Tour [TRUE] In Kuala Lumpur
Pumped up stages and scorching hot performances happened at the 2019 HYOLYN 1st World Tour [TRUE] in Kuala Lumpur. Presented by DRG, co-organized by WeMedia and Soul9sProduction, Hyolyn hosted her first Malaysian tour on June 28 at Dewan Wawasan, Menara PGRM.
K-Pop News Corner
- Produce X 101 Recap: TOP Media Trainees Clinch First Two Spots + Surprise Twist & Concept Evaluation Preview
- MONSTA X Announces Collaboration With TWOTUCKGOM And New Web Show
Seems like MONSTA X and bears will never get away from each other. They are set to release a collaboration with N.C. SOFT called TWOTUCKGOM – which means bears with two chins! Moreover, a new web show titled MONSTA X’s Dog Days will also be released in line with the collaboration.
- KARD Bags “Asia Rising Star Award” At The 2019 Korea-China Management Awards
This month, phenomenal co-ed group KARD has earned another award under their belt. The group received a citation in the recently concluded 2019 Korea-China Management Awards, which recognized achievements across different business industries — including the K-Pop industry.
- #CreditHanbin: YG Entertainment Under Fire For Not Crediting iKON’s B.I In Eun Ji Won’s Upcoming Album
YG Entertainment is under fire yet again for outright disrespecting former iKON member B.I, or Kim Hanbin, and his hardwork by not crediting him in a song he made. After getting called out by many fans on social media, YG Entertainment later relayed their response to JoyNews24 .
- BTS’ Love Yourself: Speak Yourself Becomes Billboard’s Top-Grossing Tour In May
Continuously impressing fans around the world, the South Korean boy group BTS has scored a brand-new achievement with their ongoing stadium tour Love Yourself: Speak Yourself. In particular, the boys’ Love Yourself: Speak Yourself has dominated the Top Tour and Top Boxscores charts.
- SEVENTEEN’s Seungkwan To Sit Out From SBS Super Concert In Hong Kong And KCON 2019 New York Due To Ankle Injury
SEVENTEEN’s Seungkwan will be sitting out from his group’s upcoming promotional activities and schedules due to his recent injury, as confirmed by Pledis Entertainment.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- EXO’s D.O. To Release Solo Song “That’s Okay” For SM Station
EXO’s D.O. will comfort the grieving hearts of EXO-Ls worldwide with a special song he will release on July 1 — the same day of his military enlistment. Titled “That’s Okay”, the song will be released as part of SM Entertainment’s digital music project SM Station.
- Eun Jiwon Unveils Teaser Releases For Solo Album G1
Eun Jiwon is about to release his sixth regular album. To further raise anticipation, on Wednesday through a blog post, YG Entertainment unveiled a countdown poster. The much-awaited solo album titled G1 will be out on June 27, 2019.
- Kang Daniel Sets To Light Up July With Solo Debut Date Announcement
Kang Daniel confirmed that he will be making his solo debut this month through his agency KONNECT Entertainment on June 27. The former Wanna One member marks the end of his fans’ long wait with his agency’s latest announcement about his upcoming debut.
- BTS’ Suga Collaborates With Heize For Her Comeback Title Track “We Don’t Talk Together”
BTS’ Suga and Heize have worked together to deliver an A+ track for the latter’s comeback – marking a collaboration like no other! Confirmed on June 27, the BTS rapper will be featuring on the singer’s comeback title track as one of its producers.
- MONSTA X Members Minhyuk And Joohoney Display Quirky Sides In New Trot Track’s Retro Music Video
Titled “Ongshimi”, the new release from the two MONSTA X members was a total feast for the eyes and ears especially of fans who have held onto high expectations for something extra special – as promised – from the duo.
- Ha Sung Woon Unveils Tracklist And Teaser Photos For Upcoming Mini-Album BXXX
On June 29, Ha Sung Woon made his tracklist revelation as he further counts down to his nearing comeback scheduled on July 8. Marking his second mini-album, BXXX will be headlined by the track titled “Blue”, which he took part in writing the lyrics of.
- BTS Unveils “Heartbeat” Music Video Of For The BTS World OST
On June 28 at 6pm KST, BigHit Entertainment unveiled the nostalgic music video for the track, which was released simultaneously – with the rest of the OST album for their newest mobile game pair-up with Netmarble.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- Welcome 2 Life Cast Members Hold First Table Read Of Their Drama
The talented cast and production members warmly met each other for the first time for its first table read. Cast members Jung Ji Hoon, Kwak Si Yang, Lim Ji Yeon, Son Byung Ho, Park Won Sang, Han Sang Jin, Jang So Yeon, Kim Joong Ki, Choi Philip and the rest of the cast and crew were in attendance.
- New Variety Show Little Forest Releases Teaser Video Featuring Lee Seung Gi
Lee Seung Gi and Lee Seo Jin will headline the show together with comedienne Park Na Rae. Little Forest experiments with a brand new environmental concept. It aims to create awareness on its viewers as well.
- Get Level Up With Sung Hoon & Han Bo Reum Right On K-PLUS
Level Up is a 12-episode workplace romance comedy starring Sung Hoon (My Secret Romance, Oh My Venus), Han Bo Reum (Memories of the Alhambra, Go Back Couple), Cha Sun Woo (Less Than Evil, Reply 1994) and Danny Ahn (Big Issue, Romance of 7 Days).
- Cast For jTBC’s Melo Suits Me Gather for First Read-Through
The images, released on June 27 showed the cast of jTBC’s Melo Suits Me taking part in the first table read which took place in March in Sangam-dong in Seoul. Director Lee Byung Hun and writer Kim Young Young attended together with the cast as well.
- Kwak Dong Yeon To Cameo In SBS New Drama Doctor Detective
The actor’s special appearance will be on the drama’s episode. Doctor Detective highlights corruption within private groups and the anomalies that they try to cover up. For his special role, Kwak Dong Yeon will play Jung Ha Rang, a subcontractor of TL Metro Group.
- OCN Hopes To Inspire Equal Human Rights Interest In New Drama
Based on the novel with the same title, The Defender: Human Rights (literal translation) revolves around human rights activists. The series will depict real human stories, sure to evoke empathy from viewers.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Park Seo Joon And Woo Do Hwan’s Film The Divine Fury Sets Release Date
The Divine Fury follows the story of a mixed martial arts champion who will fight against malevolent forces. Park Seo Joon plays MMA champion fighter Yong Hoo, who discovered a mysterious wound on his palm.
- Song Joong Ki And Song Hye Kyo Confirm Looming Divorce
In the morning of June 27, attorney Park Jae Hyun, representing Song Joong Ki, said in an official press release: “On behalf of Mr. Song, our law firm has filed a divorce application on June 26 at Seoul Family Court. In addition, we would like to convey the official statement of Mr. Song.”
- Actress Jeon Mi Seon Found Dead In Apparent Suicide
On June 29, 2019, Jeon Mi Seon’s manager made a frantic 119 call. He was initially unable to reach her, so after checking, he found out that she had checked in alone. Her body was found at around 11.45 am at a hotel in Jeonju, which is 240 kilometers south of Seoul.
- The Way Home To Be Screened Again After 18 Years
Heartwarming film The Way Home starring 9-year-old Yoo Seung Ho is confirmed to be shown on local cinemas. Bagging the Best Film and Best Screenplay at the 2002 Grand Bell Awards, the film is also listed in the highest-grossing South Korean films with over 4 million admissions nationwide.
- Joo Won Updates Fans With Recent Product Photos He Endorses
On June 22, Joo Won’s agency Huayi Brothers posted various behind the scene photos of the actor’s recent advertisement projects. Capturing attention with different looks, the actor’s smile, healthy body and charm emanate in the images.
- Kang Daniel Happily Smiles During Preparations For Solo Debut, Shares Honest Feelings About His Hiatus
Kang Daniel updates fans as he spurs preparations for his upcoming solo debut with photos on his official Instagram account dominated by his joyful smile! Through his legal representative, the idol also talked about the hardship he previously faced due to the legal battle with former agency LM Entertainment in an interview with YTN.
- Mid-Year K-Drama Recap: What You Should Watch From The First Batch Of 2019 Korean Dramas
For the record, the first batch of 2019 Korean Dramas we featured are not that bad. It is more of plots and themes which are heavily constructed. More so, there are quick surges of light-themed stories, but it does not suffice in unloading the stress we got from watching the tedious roster we had to finish.
- July 2019 Korean Drama Releases: “Watcher”, “Hotel Del Luna”, “Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung” & More
Exploding to 15 new titles to anticipate for, viewers get to see different genres from young and veteran actors. Renowned season actors Han Suk Kyu makes his highly-anticipated return since the hit Doctor Romantic.