K-News Weekly Headlines: Debuts from TXT And Jus2, Record-Breaking Achievements, And Upcoming Showcases
The first week of March ushered in a variety of record-breaking achievements by your favorite Korean idols, an array of comeback and fan meeting plans for the year, and celebrations of comebacks from the previous month and the women in our lives.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from March 3 to 9
- Hyun Bin Announces Fan Meeting Tour In April
Hyun Bin is ready to brew magical memories with his fans as he prepares to embark on LOG INTO THE SPACE – 2019 Hyun Bin Fan Meeting Tour, his first fan meeting tour in six years!
- Yuri Adds Final Stop To YURI 1st Fanmeeting Tour ‘INTO YURI’
Girls’ Generation Yuri is all set to bring her first solo fan meeting to a close as she announces a final show at Seoul’s YES24 Live Hall this April.
- Lai Kuan Lin To Share The Good Vibes With A Fan Meet
Singer-actor Lai Kuan Lin will be embarking on his first solo fan meeting titled 2019 Lai Kuan Lin Fan Meeting “Good Feeling” this April.
- BTOB Honors Seven Years With Melody Through An Exhibit
In celebration of seven years of togetherness between the idol and fans, BTOB organized a special exhibit called 7YEARS 7MEMBERS WITH MELODY at the Galleria Foret, Seongdonggu in Seoul.
- 24K To Hold First Concert In India
On March 6, 24K made Indian K-pop fans scream as they announced that they will be performing in Bangalore for their I 24 U concert on March 24.
- HallyuPopFest 2019
- Jus2 Prepares A Series Of Showcases In Singapore
GOT7’s latest sub-unit, Jus2, will never make Singapore Ahgases defocus when they perform on their Jus2 <FOCUS> PREMIERE SHOWCASE TOUR IN SINGAPORE in May!
K-Concert & K-Fanmeeting Recaps
- Nam Joo Hyuk Celebrates Birthday With Fans In Hong Kong
Nam Joo Hyuk visited Hong Kong for his 2019 FANMEETING NAM JOO HYUK Current, where he received warm birthday greetings from his fans.
- 2019 K-Pop Friendship Concert In Manila Celebrates Korean And Filipino Music
To celebrate the bond between the two countries, rising K-Pop artists took the stage for a memorable night for the 2019 K-Pop Friendship Concert in Manila. But before NCT Dream, Noir, and April took the stage by storm, the groups participated in an intimate press conference where they gamely answered questions.
K-Pop News Corner
- Kang Daniel Speaks Up About His Issue With LM Entertainment
Kang Daniel took to social media and personally talked about his current issue with his agency, after rumors began to circulate when the news first broke.
- MNH Entertainment Prepares To Debut A Girl Group
The entertainment group recently posted a teaser for their very first idol group, a girl group comprised of five members.
- Spotify’s Early Noise Features Rookie Boy Group TXT
Spotify returns this year with its Early Noise initiative — and for 2019, they are featuring Big Hit Entertainment’s highly anticipated boy group TXT or Tomorrow X Together.
- Takahashi Juri Signs On To Woollim Entertainment
AKB48 alumni Takahashi Juri has a bright future ahead of her as she signs her future in the Korean music scene to Woollim Entertainment– where she will be debuting under a new girl group.
- Sunmi Sweeps The Charts With “Noir”
Sunmi has once again produced another banger as “Noir” takes over major South Korean music charts since its release.
- C9BOYZ Adds Seunghun To Their Member Line-up
Joining Bae Jin Young in the upcoming group C9BOYZ is Kim Seunghun, a former contestant on reality survival show, YG Treasure Box.
- Big Hit Entertainment Appoints New Co-CEO
In the midst of the company’s growth with BTS and the newly-debuted TXT, Big Hit Entertainment has recently appointed Yoon Seok Jun as co-CEO, who will be in charge of the company’s global and platform business, and intellectual property.
- Fans Exceed Crowdfunding Goal For B.A.P. Daehyun’s Mini-Album
B.A.P’s Daehyun gears up to start his career as a soloist with a new mini-album, which his loyal fans backed through the “Daehyun Mini-Album Project” launched on crowdfunding site Culture Bridge.
- Gaon Chart Releases Latest Batch Of Platinum Certifications
BTS, Twice, SEVENTEEN, EXO, and BLACKPINK continue to perform well as they bring home Platinum certifications for their massive album sales, download, and online streaming numbers on the Gaon Chart!
- Twice Beats Their Own Record At The Oricon Charts
Twice continues to prove that they are the queens of the Japanese music scene as #TWICE2 has officially broken the record for first day album sales by a Korean girl group– a record that Twice themselves set with BDZ!
- BLACKPINK Achieves A Remarkable Feat With “DDU-DU DDU-DU”
BLACKPINK kept its position as the K-Pop group with most viewed music video and created another amazing feat for K-Pop with the phenomenal hit “Ddu-Du Ddu-Du” by surpassing 700 million views on YouTube.
- Ong Seong Wu Is Appointed Incheon Metropolitan City Office Of Education Ambassador
Former Wanna One member Ong Seong Wu continues to prove that he is this generation’s role model through his official appointment as the ambassador of Incheon Metropolitan City’s Office of Education.
- BTS Suga Makes Generous Donation On His Birthday
Instead of keeping all his blessings to himself, BTS Suga decided to spread the joy and cheer for one of the most special days in his life by donating 100 million won to the child patients of the Korea Pediatric Cancer Foundation.
- Bae Jin Young Successfully Sells Out Tickets To First Solo Fan Meeting
C9 Entertainment reported on March 8 that tickets to the Bae Jin Young 1st Asia Fan Meeting Tour <I’M YOUNG> have officially sold out— in one minute!
- TXT Makes Debut With “One Day Horns Grew From My Head (Crown)”
- Red Velvet’s Yeri To Release A Solo Track On SM Station
Red Velvet’s Yeri is ready to unveil her musical chops as she is set to release her self-written solo song, “Dear Diary” on this season of SM Station this March 14.
K-Pop Comeback News & Updates
- Jus2 Makes Debut With “Focus On Me”
GOT7 duo JB and Yugyeom officially make their debut as Jus2 with “Focus On Me”. With a unique rhythmic beat backing up, the duo asks the viewers to focus on them while they harmonize together for a mild yet steady chorus.
- MAMAMOO Completes Teasers For White Wind
MAMAMOO’s White Wind, is ready to blow their fans away on March 14. As of writing, the girls have already released all the member teaser photos, as well as their comeback schedule.
- MOMOLAND To Release A Mini-Album
MOMOLAND is giving their loyal Merries a fifth mini-album, after nine months of embarking on fan meets and other promotional activities.
- Park Bom Releases Teasers For “Spring”
Park Bom is sharing in everyone’s excitement through social media as she gets busy with dropping teasers left and right to let everyone know she is back!
- Park Ji Hoon Confirms Official Solo Debut Date
Former Wanna One member Park Ji Hoon has his fans buzzing with excitement when Maroo Entertainment announced that March 26 will be the idol’s solo debut date.
- Bang Yong Guk Releases Teasers For Upcoming Album
B.A.P’s Bang Yong Guk is upping his fans’ excitement through the release of teaser photos leading up to his upcoming solo album’s release.
- Heize Announces Release Date For Upcoming Album
Heize makes her return to the music scene with She’s Fine, a regular album targeted for release at around mid-March.
- Lay Zhang And Far East Movement Pair Up For A Special Release
American hip-hop and electronic music group Far East Movement announced their upcoming collaboration, “Lovebird”, with EXO’s Lay Zhang.
- EXO’s Chen To Release A Solo Album
Chen is ready to further explore his musical capabilities as he prepares to release a solo album! The singer hopes to release the album in April, and he is already in the process of shooting an accompanying music video.
- IZ*ONE And Jonas Blue Release A Surprise Collaboration
London-based producer Jonas Blue and IZONE take the world by surprise through a collaboration! IZONE worked with the producer to release their own version of Jonas Blue’s mega-hit, “Rise”.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- Romance Is A Bonus Book recaps: Ep 11, Ep 12
- Touch Your Heart recaps: Ep 7, Ep 8,
- The Light In Your Eyes recaps: Ep 7,
- Cha Eun Woo To Star In MBC’s Upcoming Historical Drama
Actor Cha Eun Woo is set to join actress Shin Se Kyung in MBC’s upcoming period drama Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung (working title).
- IU And Yeo Jin Goo Pair Up For tvN’s Upcoming Drama
It’s official: singer Lee Ji Eun (IU) and Yeo Jin Goo will be taking on the lead roles in the latest tvN drama Hotel Del Luna.
- Park Bo Gum And Gong Yoo To Star In Seo Bok Together
Actors Park Bo Gum and Gong Yoo are both starring in the upcoming movie Seo Bok. Bo Gum will be playing the title role Seo Bok, while Gong Yoo will be starring as a former intelligence officer on the brink of death.
- Kim Soo Hyun And Ok Taecyeon Earn Military Rank Promotions
According to reports, actors Kim Soo Hyun and Ok Taecyeon are now sergeants thanks to their diligent work during their military conscription.
- Shinheung Military Academy Announces Additional Runs With Ji Chang Wook And Kang Ha Neul As Leads
Upgraded with new additions, well-received musical Shinheung Military Academy scores another showcase period as actors Ji Chang Wook and Kang Ha Neul take the lead.
- jTBC Rounds Up Cast For Their Upcoming Drama
Beautiful World showcases top young actors who have proven their acting chops in both film and drama: young actress Kim Hwan Hee stars as Park Soo Ho, alongside Seo Dong Hun. Joining them is famous child actor Nam Da Reum portraying Park Sun Ho.
- Lee Jong Suk Quietly Enlists In The Military
On March 8, Lee Jong Suk has officially started serving as a social services worker. A-Man Project notes that the actor is committed to doing his duties faithfully.
- Netflix Confirms Premiere Date For My First First Love
Upcoming K-Drama My First First Love is set to make a Netflix premiere on April 18. Gracing the drama with their charms are lead actors Ji Soo, DIA’s Jung Chae Yeon and Jung Jin Young.
- GOT7’s Jinyoung Confesses He Had Worries Taking On His First Lead Role
GOT7’s Jinyoung is taking on his first lead role, and he opens about the worries he had during the press conference for He is Psychometric on March 4.
K-Celeb Film/TV & News
- The Lee Twins Enjoy A Fun-Filled Jeju Island Trip With Their Parents
Lee Hwi Jae and Moon Jung Woon took time off their busy schedules to spend quality time with their children Lee Seo Eon and Lee Seo Jun, popularly known as the Lee Twins.
- Produce X 101 Introduces Tighter Rules And Higher Standards
The new season of the Produce series Produce X 101 will be stricter and harsher, as the show will be introducing the grade level X for evaluation, which is set to be lower than the F grade.
- MTV Announces Line-Up For “Yo! MTV Raps”
MTV Asia recently announced the revival of one of the most influential hip hop show in Asia, YO! MTV Raps. The Asian edition will premiere in April, and is set to feature the trendiest artists of Asian hip hop.
- Rain’s Interview With 1st Look Magazine
Rain sits down for an interview with 1st Look Magazine, where he talks about the challenges he is looking forward to during the course of his career.
- Yeo Jin Goo Talks About His Career, Upcoming Projects, And More
Yeo Jin Goo sat down for an interview after the conclusion of The Crowned Clown, gamely sharing insights in his chosen profession, his last drama, next acting venture, military enlistment and love life.
- K-Pop Monthly Couch: Fiery February Comebacks And Debuts
- Korean Actors Who Ceaselessly Rock Their “K-Drama Oppa” Status
If there is one cute necessity surplus that has not been neglected in the world, it would be having talented Korean actors! These perennial favorites have portrayed memorable chaebol, doctor, prosecutor, detective, and even supernatural roles with vigor.
- 10 EXO Music Videos That Record More Than 100 Million Views On YouTube
True to their name as one of the biggest and most popular boy groups of the generation, EXO continues to impress by filing ten music videos under its name with more than 100 million views.
- Hellokpop K-Drama Picks: Stories Celebrating The Strength Of Women
In celebration of the International Women’s Day, we are sharing you some of the best Korean dramas which defines the fortitude and blessing of being a woman. From popular drama heroines who withstood various life challenges in career and love, come encouraging stories that teach life lessons for women of varying ages.
- 12 K-Pop Tracks To Celebrate International Women’s Day 2019
K-Pop is not just a place for love, breakups, betrayal and revenge but also has a small niche for girl power songs. Being in the field of entertainment is hard for every idol, especially girls, yet our idol girls present us encouraging tracks to inspire women.