K-News Weekly Headlines: NU’EST Dominates Charts, 2NE1 Celebrates 10th Anniversary, So Ji Sub Confirms Dating News
The past week has been quite an exciting one: idols have either been preparing to set off to tour the world, or working on new music to serenade their loving fans.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from May 12 to 18
- 2019 MONSTA X WORLD TOUR [WE ARE HERE] in Europe
Shownu, Wonho, Minhyuk, Kihyun, Hyungwon, Jooheon, and I.M will be taking their 2019 MONSTA X WORLD TOUR [WE ARE HERE] in Europe for their Monbebes in the continent to finally witness their powerful performances live on stage.
- IZ*ONE Includes Additional Date For Sold Out Solo Concert
On May 10, Off The Record Entertainment announced that both dates to the IZ*ONE 1ST CONCERT [EYES ON ME] IN SEOUL are officially sold out. In order to keep up with popular demand, the girls are adding another date to their concert!
- Lee Sung Kyung Prepares For Fan Meeting In The Philippines
South Korean model-turned-actress Lee Sung Kyung has added a new stop for her Be Joyful fan meeting this year. After months and even years of waiting, the Hallyu star will be finally meeting her Filipino fans for the very first time on July 27.
- 2019 Jang Ki Yong Japan Fan Meeting: First Contact
Jang Ki Yong is set to have a sweet and memorable evening with his Japanese fans in the Tokyo Yamano Hall on August 2, 2019. Expectations are high for his fan meeting, because the actor has made an impression not just with his Korean fans, but has won the hearts of many fans internationally.
- 2019 World Tour “Keep Spinning” in Manila
JB, Jinyoung, Mark, Jackson, Youngjae, BamBam, and Yugyeom— after almost three years since their last visit — will finally return to the Philippine shore to stage 2019 World Tour “Keep Spinning” on October 26 at the SM Mall of Asia Arena.
- VIXX’s Leo To Stage Solo Concerts In June
VIXX’s Leo is ready to stand on South Korea’s concert stage again through his 2nd Concert “Muse” which will take place in June. The singer will present new stages and inspire people with his music and vocal skills on June 14 to 16 at the Blue Square iMarket Hall.
- Tiffany Young To Return To Seoul For A Solo Concert
This year, Tiffany is coming right back to where it all started. After three years of promoting in the United States, the Girls’ Generation member is preparing to promote her music in South Korea through her solo concert.
- 2019 Soribada Best K-Music Awards Promises Upgraded Stages With A Two-Day Event
This year, the 2019 Soribada Best K-Music Awards is going for a full force spectacle. The music awards show will be making a number of changes to the event, promising better experiences for attendees and viewers alike.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- EXID Talks About Their Future Plans In Comeback Showcase
To celebrate the release of their mini album WE, EXID held a showcase at the Blue Square I-Market Hall. Solji, LE, Hani, Hyelin, and Jeonghwa open up about the group’s future, the process behind their comeback, and more.
- BTS Serve Sizzling Performances At The Good Morning America 2019 Summer Concert
BTS set the stage of the Good Morning America 2019 Summer Concert ablaze on May 15! The venue – which was none other than the ever-famous Central Park – was filled to the brim by ARMYs who eagerly waited for the seven boys.
K-Pop News Corner
- BTS’ Map Of The Soul: Persona Becomes Best-Selling Album In South Korea
On May 9, the Gaon Chart announced that BTS’ Map of the Soul: Persona is officially South Korea’s best-selling album of all time, having sold 3,229,032 units in less than a month.
- NU’EST Ranks Second On May Group Brand Rankings
NU’EST is winning everybody’s hearts, and their group brand rankings are all the proof you need. The Korean Business Research Institute has recently revealed this month’s group brand reputation rankings, and NU’EST has landed the second spot.
- TXT To Launch First Reality Show ONE DREAM.TXT
Mnet has confirmed that K-Pop rookie boy group TXT (Tomorrow X Together) will be launching their first reality show soon. Titled ONE DREAM.TXT, the upcoming variety show will feature the month-long journey of Big Hit Entertainment’s new boy band in the United States.
- MONSTA X Celebrates 4th Anniversary With Sweet Messages To Monbebes
In celebration of their fourth debut anniversary, MONSTA X greeted their beloved Monbebes with various sweet messages, which made such a special day even more memorable!
- BLACKPINK Jennie’s “SOLO” Smashes 300 Million YouTube Views
On May 14, Jennie’s music video for her first solo song “SOLO” has surpassed the 300-million mark on YouTube. Notably, she is the first ever female soloist to garner the said massive amount of YouTube views.
- BTS Surpasses New YouTube Records
This week, BTS’ music videos surpass various YouTube records. V becomes the fastest artist to garner 90 million views with “Singularity“, Jimin’s “Serendipity” becomes the first BTS solo song to garner 100 million views, “Blood Sweat and Tears” earns 450 million views, and “Boy With Luv” is now the fastest to garner 300 million views.
- EXO’s Baekhyun Launches Personal YouTube Channel
Finding another way to get in touch with his fans, the EXO vocalist joined the world of YouTube with his new personal channel named Baekhyun Channel. He announced its launch on Twitter and even shared his difficulties as a newbie in the video streaming site.
- MONSTA X Teases Upcoming Guest Appearance On We Bare Bears
On May 17, the television channel revealed that Shownu, Wonho, Minhyuk, Kihyun, Hyungwon, Joohoney, and I.M will be joining the adorable trio of Grizz, Panda, and Ice Bear of the well-loved cartoon series We Bare Bears for a special appearance on one of its episodes!
- NU’EST Leads Gaon Album Chart For Second Consecutive Week
JR, Aron, Baekho, Min Hyun, and Ren continued to soar on the number one spot of the weekly album chart which they first dominated in the week ending May 4 — Happily Ever After‘s debut week on the chart after its release on April 29.
- SEVENTEEN’s Joshua Graces A-TEEN 2 With Special Cameo Appearance
Surprising viewers of A-TEEN 2, SEVENTEEN’s Joshua showed up for a special appearance on its seventh episode. Though his guesting only lasted for about a minute, Joshua stole the show with his bright presence as one of the main character’s friends.
- NCT 127 Stages Super Showcase In The Late Late Show With James Corden
NCT 127 gathered recently on The Late Late Show with James Corden to have a good time – and showcase their super talents at the same time. The group also did not miss the chance to challenge themselves in the show’s ever-famous corner – the Flinch game!
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- BVNDIT To Get “Dramatic” In Upcoming Digital Single
This month, BVNDIT is showcasing another side to their personalities as they gear up for another release. Yiyeon, Songhee, Jungwoo, Simyeong, and Seungeun are working on releasing a digital single— and it is ready to drop real soon.
- Chungha Announces Plans For A June Comeback
Blooming soloist Chungha has shared that she has new music in the works, and that they are already working on a comeback schedule. Fans can look forward to fresh sound paired with Chungha’s sunny charms next month.
- ITZY Announces Plans For Their First Comeback
Six months after they broke out onto the music scene with “Dalla Dalla”, ITZY has confirmed that they are preparing brand new music for their fans. Get ready to witness them solidify their monster rookie group status soon.
- WINNER Makes Exciting Comeback With WE
A day before officially releasing their mini album WE, WINNER hyped Inner Circles once again as they shared stunning individual posters of the boys. Hours after the EP release, it went on to top of eight domestic and international music charts.
- Kyuhyun Unveils Details About Solo Comeback
To help ELFs prepare for his upcoming release, Kyuhyun has recently unveiled more details about his upcoming solo album, now titled Time With You. Ahead of his single album’s release, Kyuhyun pre-released a digital single of the same title.
- Kim Jae Hwan Unveils Title Track And Teasers For Debut Solo Album
The excitement for the singer’s solo debut with the mini-album Another heightens as fans find out about the participation of the veteran singing legend in its making. Kim Jae Hwan also counted down with fans through a number of photo sets showing off his various charms.
- CLC Prepares To End May With A Summer Comeback
Joining this month’s parade of release is CLC! The septet is currently in the middle of comeback preparations, and are aiming to release new music before May ends.
- Ong Seong Wu To Release His First Post-Wanna One Solo Song Through 2019 Pepsi K-Pop Collab Project
The former Wanna One vocalist will be serenading fans with a new song made possible by Pepsi’s collaboration project with Starship Entertainment. Ong Seong Wu has been named as the artist confirmed to be taking part in the project’s upcoming “Summer Part. 1” special single.
- GOT7 Unveils Music Video Teasers And Tracklist For Nearing Comeback
GOT7 ups their teaser countdown even more with thrilling snippets of their music video together with a loaded tracklist released simultaneously! The group is almost finally back with new, booming music as they prep for their upcoming mini-album Spinning Top!
- ONEUS Gets Ready To Rise This May With New Mini Album
ONEUS will join the star-studded lineup of comebacks this May with the release of its second mini album titled Raise Us. The boy group dropped a teaser photo on May 14, signalling the start of its first comeback after debuting with “Valkyrie” in January this year.
- AB6IX Unveils Debut Album Preview And Tracklist
AB6IX gave fans a listen to what they have in store for the music industry as they make their “absolute beginning” with their debut mini-album B: Complete on May 22! The group shared their mini-album’s tracklist on May 15.
- Treasure 13 Unveils Profile Images And Polaroid Cuts
Treasure Makers will have to allot more spaces on their phone memory as Treasure 13 continues to share more profile images and polaroid cuts of the members. The entertainment company continues the wave of new profile images with a photograph of Haruto and Park Jeong Woo together.
- Sechskies’ Eun Ji Won To Return As A Solo Artist
YG Entertainment revealed that Sechskies’ Eun Ji Won has completed filming the music video of the title track of his upcoming solo album on May 15 and 16. In addition, WINNER’s Mino participated in writing and composing the lead single for his sunbae’s new release.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- Lee Dong Wook Clinches First OCN Drama Thriller
Marking his first project for OCN, Lee Dong Wook swerves to a new acting vibe. Confirming a distinct role for a channel known for enthralling stories, he is up to prove his grit and acting range in the television adaptation of well-loved webtoon Strangers from Hell.
- Upcoming Drama Miss Lee Completes Cast With Lee Chang Yeop
On May 14, Lee Chang Yeop was confirmed to join the cast of Miss Lee. Girl’s Day’s Hyeri will play the title role Lee Sun Sim. Rounding off the cast is Kim Sang Kyung as Yoo Jin Wook. Miss Lee premieres on tvN in September.
- Ko Ji Yong And His Son Seungjae To Bid Farewell On The Return Of Superman
Former SECHSKIES member Ko Ji Yong has announced that he and his son Seungjae will be bidding farewell on KBS’ The Return Of Superman. Specifically, he revealed that he and his son have already finished filming their final episode on the well-loved Korean reality show.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Yoon Ji Sung Officially Enters Military Training Camp
14 May 2019 marks the start of Yoon Ji Sung entering the military for his mandatory service! In the afternoon, he officially entered Gangwon training camp, where he will receive basic military training before he carries out his duties as an active duty soldier.
- Ok Taecyeon Finally Returns After Successful Military Service
After one year and eight months of waiting, South Korean actor and singer Ok Taecyeon has finally completed his mandatory military service today. Smiling brightly this morning, the singer walked out of the army to greet the numerous fans waiting for him.
- Eli And Kiseop To Part Ways With NHemg And U-KISS
Eli and Kiseop are preparing to embark on a new chapter of their journeys. On May 16, NHemg has announced that the two artists are formally parting ways with the company this month. By extension, Eli and Kiseop will also be departing from U-KISS.
- So Ji Sub Confirms His Relationship With Announcer Jo Eun Jung
On May 17, So Ji Sub’s agency confirmed his relationship with announcer Jo Eun Jung through a press release. Notably, this is the first time that the A-list actor went public about his relationship status.
- Boyfriend Ends Exclusive Contract With Starship Entertainment
On May 17, Starship Entertainment announced that Boyfriend will disband this month, informing BestFriends of the news on social media through a bittersweet video clip.
- K-Photo Reels: Chae Soo Bin For Nylon June 2019 Issue; Kim Tae Ri For Elle Korea June 2019 Issue; Oh Yeon Seo For Grazia June 2019 Issue; NCT DREAM For MAPS June 2019 Issue; BLACKPINK’s Jisoo For Harper’s Bazaar June 2019 Issue;
- MONSTA X Reveals Which Image And Type Of Song They Would Like To Try Next
With the variety of music they can show, the seven-member group has proved that they can pull off any concept they wish. However, the members shared which image or feel of a song they themselves would personally like to show again as MONSTA X in a recent interview.
- Park Woo Jin Encourages “Produce X 101” Trainees To Never Give Up
AB6IX’s Park Woo Jin gives off refreshing summer vibes in his pictorial for the June issue of star1 magazine. He also sat down for an interview and talked about his upcoming debut in a new boy group, his stint in Law of the Jungle, and his message for Produce X 101 participants.
- Chen Says He Will Always Choose To Be In EXO
For Chen, no amount of adversary will stop him from wanting to be EXO’s Chen over again. Even if he is to be born again, he will still choose to be in EXO — a declaration he proudly made in the June issue of star1 magazine where he decorates the cover and talked about his solo debut.
- Album Review: Oh My Girl – The Fifth Season
- Quick Reviews: Keem Hyo-eun’s “Untitled”, NC.A’s “Some-“, and Ants’ “Hey, Um”
- #10YearsWith2NE1: 2NE1 Members And Blackjacks Commemorate The Girl Group’s 10th Anniversary
For second-generation K-Pop fans who grew up singing and dancing along to 2NE1’s “Fire”, congratulations because you survived a decade since then. And yes, you are reading that right. It has been ten years since YG Entertainment launched its first ever girl group — 2NE1.
- Here’s Why Kim Jae Wook Makes Fangirls Want To Share Their Private Lives With Him
Kim Jae Wook is up for another challenge to bring out his lighter facade as a love struck artist on hiatus. After gathering crucial sweet evidences, here’s an exhibit tailormade for one of the most memorable male leads this year.
- Park Min Young K-Drama Moments That Prove She’s The Queen Of Romantic Scenes
Versatile and genuine, the beautiful actress has been streaking different types of winner kissing frames from her drama portfolio. Aside from that, she has hefty amount of iconic sweet scenes to boot. Today, we look back on some of Park Min Young’s Best K-Drama Moments and celebrate why she deserves to be named as “Romance Drama Queen”.