K-News Weekly Headlines: 2NE1 10th Anniversary, Lee Hi Comeback, PRISTIN Disbandment
Celebration of milestones in the industry marked relevant K-News for the third week of May 2019.
Additionally a few rising artists are releasing new music, and a wide variety of new K-Dramas are on the way to hype K-News buzz soon!
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from May 19 to 25
- Ticketing Details For TWICE WORLD TOUR 2019 TWICELIGHTS in Manila And Singapore
The hype for TWICE WORLD TOUR 2019 TWICELIGHTS is real! ONCEs in Manila and Singapore are getting ready to “dance the night away” with their favorite girl group as ticketing details about their shows have been revealed.
- Be Joyful Lee Sung Kyung Fan Meeting in Manila
CDM Entertainment has officially confirmed the details of the Be Joyful Lee Sung Kyung Fan Meeting in Manila on May 20. The event is on July 27, 2019 at the SM Skydome.
- 2019 Asia Tour All About Ju Ji Hoon
Six years since his last fan gathering, Ju Ji Hoon preps up for a four-city tour starting from Seoul on July 21. Thereafter, he will visit Bangkok on August 3, Hong Kong on August 10 and Taipei on August 24.
- The Boyz Joins SEVENTEEN, BLACKPINK, BOL4 In 2019 Summer Sonic
The lineup for this year’s Summer Sonic keeps on getting more superb as The Boyz also joins in on making the Japanese stage hotter with their prepared A+ performances! Taking place in Japan this August 16 to 18, the super-sized music festival announced quite a star-studded lineup.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- Super Charming Memories Shared At “Seo Kang Jun Live In Manila”
Streaks of fun games, dashes of spontaneous charms and scoops of sweet serenades made up the sweet concoction brewed at The Last Charm: Seo Kang Jun Live in Manila.
- Bae Jin Young Spends “Baebastic” Night With Filipino Fans In First Solo Fan Meeting
It was an utterly “Baebastic” night for fans of Bae Jin Young as the charismatic idol took over the stage of New Frontier Theatre in Manila on May 18. Displaying his various charms, he was set on a mission of making everyone fall in love with him in record time!
- Ji Chang Wook Fulfills Promise To Meet Fans After Military Service
From serenading fans with his soulful voice and gamely participating in the fanmeeting segments, Ji Chang Wook impressed everyone with his genuine warmth. Fans of the actor, who have been waiting for him to complete his military service, proved their unwavering support.
- Kyuhyun Reunites With His Fans In Again, Meet Today
On May 19, Kyuhyun returned to the Hall of Peace at Kyunghee University. This time, he met his loyal ELFs for a different reason: to celebrate his return from mandatory military enlistment.
- NCT 127 Stages A Grand Finale Of Its North American Tour In Vancouver
NCT 127 took over the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, Canada with spectacular performances of its greatest hits on May 19, sealing off the North American leg of NEO CITY – The Origin in superb spirit.
- Jung Eun Ji Wrapped Up A Sold-Out Show In Hong Kong
Singer-actress Jung Eun Ji performed with 2500 raving fans on her first solo concert in Hong Kong titled, Jeong Eun Ji 1st Hong Kong Concert Hyehwa 2019 on May 18 and 19 at the MacPherson Stadium.
- BLACKPINK Officially Opens European Tour With An Enthralling Amsterdam Show
BLACKPINK has officially debuted in the European stage as they successfully gave fans an enthralling concert in Amsterdam. Filled with fans’ loving cheers, Jennie, Jisoo, Rose, and Lisa thrilled the audience with their fiery performances.
- Seo Kang Jun Looks Forward To Create Sweet Memories At #SeoKangJunLiveInMNL Fanmeeting
Gearing up for a memorable evening at his first fan meeting in the Philippines, Seo Kang Jun prepped the audience in attendance at his press conference on May 24 at GMA Studio 7. He gamely answered questions from the press, all the while sweetly flashing his signature smile.
K-Pop News Corner
- Produce X 101 Recap: Group Battle Officially Begins, Kim Yo Han & Kim Min Gyu Top Real Time Voting
Kicking off with twists and drama, grade level shake ups saw aspiring trainees of Produce X 101 moving to higher levels while under-performing ones dropped their spots. Host Lee Dong Wook also announced that the trainees will work together to stage performances popularized by acknowledged K-Pop boy groups.
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie Tops May Brand Reputation Rankings Among Girl Group Members
BLACKPINK’s Jennie has been announced as the top girl group member in this month’s brand reputation. Notably, she was able to maintain the first place for five straight months now.
- BTS To Bring Their Smashing “Boy With Luv” Stage To “The Voice” Finale
Before embarking on the next leg of their BTS World Tour ‘Love Yourself: Speak Yourself’, BTS has one last stop: the season finale of NBC’s The Voice. The septet will be making their appearance on May 21, performing alongside artists like The Jonas Brothers, Taylor Swift, Brendon Urie, Halsey, and Khalid.
- 2NE1 Celebrates Tenth Anniversary With A Sweet Reunion
On May 17, the quartet took their loyal Blackjacks by surprise by greeting their fans with “What’s up? We 2NE1!” as a group on Instagram live. In their reunion, the girls talked about how much time has passed since they last saw each other, and reminisced on their memories as a group.
- iKON’s “Love Scenario” Music Video Hits 300 Million YouTube Views
In the afternoon of May 20, the iKON’s music video for their hit song “Love Scenario” has exceeded the 300-million mark on YouTube. Notably, it is the first ever track the group to hit the said massive amount of views.
- EXO’s Suho Joins UNICEF’s “For Every Child, Hope” Campaign
Suho has taken part in UNICEF’s campaign for children through a heartwarming promotional video encouraging fans to take part in spreading hope all around the world! EXO’s leader beckoned fans to show their support for the foundation that aims to help give hope to children.
- Kang Daniel’s Produce 101 Season 2 Fancam Climbs Back To Real-Time Top Videos In Korea
Kang Daniel and one of his legendary fancams from the second season of Produce 101 resurfaced on Naver TV’s real-time top video list recently – and it even grabbed the top spot from the show’s current trainees!
- BLACKPINK’s Debut Music Video “BOOMBAYAH” Hits 600 Million Views On YouTube
BLACKPINK’s debut track has surpassed the 600-million mark on YouTube. Notably, it became the first ever K-Pop debut music video to garner the said massive amount of views. Almost three years after its successful release, the hit song continues to showcase their growing global popularity.
- WINNER Clinches Triple Crown On Gaon Music Chart With WE
WINNER topped the Albums chart for Week 20 (May 12 to 18), and secured the top spot in the weekly sales volume in the Retail Albums chart with latest mini-album WE. The title song from the album, “AH YEAH” landed first place on the Downloads chart, giving the boy group the triple crown achievement.
- SEVENTEEN Celebrates Fourth Anniversary With A Touching Donation
Celebrating their fourth anniversary this May, South Korean boy group SEVENTEEN has gifted both fans and children in need with nothing more meaningful than a thoughtful present. According to reports, the idols recently made a touching donation to a campaign organized by Child Fund Korea.
- Ong Seong Wu Reveals Comforting And Sweet Official Fan Club Name
Among the many recommended names, Ong announced that he will be calling his fans as “WELO”. The name takes on three meanings, with the first one being an acronym for “We Eternally Love Ong”.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- ATEEZ Builds Up Excitement For Upcoming Comeback
It’s official: ATEEZ has brand new music on the way! ATINYs were treated to a detailed promotion map, and the news that they will be able to pick the title track for their comeback album Treasure EP. 3: One To All.
- ASTRO Releases Self-Filmed Music Video For “1 In A Million”
The boys of ASTRO made fans smile on May 18 by gifting a special music video they made themselves! Directing the spotlight to their sweet, upbeat B-side track “1 In A Million”, the group took control of the cameras for a behind-the-scenes music video as a special, surprise gift to their fans.
- EXO’s Lay Zhang Teases Upcoming Music In Teaser Video
EXO’s Lay Zhang drops a sweet surprise for his fans when he unveiled a one-minute video teaser for his upcoming release titled “Honey” on his social media channels on May 20.
- Treasure 13 Members Fire Up The Anticipation For Their Debut With Next Batch Of Preview Images
As expected, YG Entertainment filled the past days of Treasure Makers with great anticipation for the next batch of preview images of the boys of Treasure 13. The members give off a vibrant and youthful atmosphere in their casual attire, sweet smiles, and innocent looks.
- MONSTA X’s Hyungwon And VIXX’s Hongbin Tease Upcoming Collaboration
During a Naver V Live broadcast done out of the blue on May 20, MONSTA X’s Hyungwon and VIXX’s Hongbin sat down together to tease their fans about a project they are currently working on.
- Kim Jae Hwan Starts Over In “Begin Again” Solo Debut Music Video
Kim Jae Hwan marked his debut as a solo artist on May 20, with a song and music video telling the story of a fresh start. Titled “Begin Again”, the track signaled the launch of the singer’s solo career after first establishing himself as a member of Wanna One.
- ONEUS Unveils Tracklist Reveal And First Set Of Concept Photos
As ONEUS slowly nears its scheduled release on May 29 at 6 PM KST, the group has already begun preparing fans to think about them from day to night with attention-grabbing teasers and an exciting tracklist along the way.
- GOT7 Bravely Sings Their Love For Fans With Comeback Track “Eclipse”
After completing the teasers for their first 2019 project, the released music video of title track “Eclipse” powered up an entrancing performance for GOT7. “Eclipse” was officially unleashed on May 20 at 6PM KST.
- Lee Hi To Make Comeback With 24 ℃
After the exciting announcement of her comeback, Lee Hi is turning up the heat by unveiling more details about her upcoming EP, 24 ℃. The singer also revealed that 24 ℃ will be fronted by the track, “No One”, a collaboration with iKON’s B.I., who participated in the track as a featured artist.
- AB6IX Blows Fans Away In Debut Music Video With “Breathe”
From the powerful and intense-filled vibe that fans expected, AB6IX took the world by surprise as they debuted with a laidback bop in “Breathe”! With the versatility they showcased, “Breathe” proved that there is so much more to watch out for from AB6IX.
- YoonA To Release Special Album, A Walk To Remember
This month, Girls’ Generation’s YoonA invites her listeners to get reminiscent by releasing a special mini album, titled A Walk To Remember. The singer officially kicked off the countdown to her comeback with ethereal photo teasers.
- NCT 127 Shows Off “Superhuman” Teaser Videos
NCT 127 keeps on leaving their fans unable to breathe with the continuous release of video teasers as their comeback date for “Superhuman” draws nearer! Playing on their gorgeousness as one of their biggest strengths as well, the group was able to bring the house down successfully.
- CLC Unveils Concept Photos For Upcoming Digital Single, “Me”
After announcing their plans to release new music, CLC surprises the world by kicking off the countdown to their comeback! Cheshires can look forward to hearing new music on May 29, in the form of the digital single, “ME (美)”.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Review: Welcome to Waikiki 2
- K-Drama Premiere: My Absolute Boyfriend, One Spring Night, Angel’s Last Mission: Love
- Kim Go Eun Pairs Up With Lee Min Ho For Her Drama Comeback
Kim Go Eun will be making her small screen comeback with The King: the Eternal Monarch (working title) . She will be portraying contrasting characters in the two parallel worlds: a criminal called Luna; and Jung Tae Eul, a detective who will team up with Lee Min Ho’s character Lee Gon.
- Her Private Life Dominates TV Drama & Actor Popularity For Two Consecutive Weeks
According to the survey released by GOOD DATA CORPORATION, Her Private Life is the most talked about drama from May 13 to 19. Besting out 28 currently airing television dramas, the tvN romantic comedy ranked first based on online articles, blogs, SNS and video responses.
- Netflix Attracts Korean Directors And Writers With Its Free Reign Approach
Having free reign to create their work makes the writers and directors consider positively the flexible production method of the world’s largest video platform, Netflix.
- Kang Ha Neul Picks Up KBS Drama After Finishing Military Service
Marking his post-military project, Kang Ha Neul confirmed his appearance on KBS2 drama, When The Camellia Flower Blooms. He will star opposite Gong Hyo Jin in a romantic comedy thriller slated for September broadcast.
- tvN Asia Announces New Express Drama Search: WWW
Search: WWW depicts the stories of three ambitious career women who are working at the top of leading portal sites in the IT industry. Paved with wins and losses, their road to success takes a new turn when love comes along the way.
- Bae Suzy Gives A Peek To Her “Vagabond” Spy Character Look
Bae Suzy, who has been a brand ambassador of the global beauty brand, looked chic and polished based on the photos released via Lancome’s official social media sites. Posed to become an NIS black operations agent working undercover, she raises expectation on her character portrayal.
- Nam Goong Min To Share Glimpses Of His Bachelor Life On MBC’s I Live Alone
The versatile actor, who has been successfully stringing hit dramas in the last five years, confirmed opening his private life to the public. On May 21, Nam Goong’s agency 935 Entertainment confirmed the actor’s appearance on MBC’s I Live Alone.
- Kim Yoo Jung Promises Never Before Seen Acting In The 8th Night
After previously considering the role for the movie, Kim Yoo Jung finally confirmed her participation in The 8th Night. Kim portrays mysterious psychic Ah Ran, who gives off an enigmatic vibe to the film.
- Hyun Bin And Son Ye Jin To Paint Korean Border Crossing Romance
Finally confirming their appearance to the project, Hyun Bin and Son Ye Jin will work together with a remarkable creative team, backed up by Studio Dragon and Culture Depot for Love Crash “사랑의 불시착” (literal translation).
- jTBC’s Eighteen Moments Holds First Table Read
Eighteen Moments conducted its first table read and in the photos released on May 23, lead actors Ong Seong Wu, Kim Hyang Gi, Shin Seung Ho and Kang Ki Young joined fellow cast members for the drama’s first scenario reading.
- jTBC’s Begin Again Prepares For Exciting Third Season
South Korean music and travel variety show Begin Again has unveiled the second group of amazing musicians who will serenade fans in its upcoming season 3. Lee Juck, Girls’ Generations’ Taeyeon, and Paul Kim are set to join the already stellar cast.
- Parasite Earns Standing Ovation At Cannes
Director Bong’s Parasite earned rave reviews during its premiere on May 21 in the Cannes Film Festival. Furthermore, it received a five minute standing ovation. Notably, Parasite is the fourth film Director Bong worked together with lead actor Song Kang Ho.
- Kim Rae Won Makes Rare Variety Show Appearance
During his free time, Kim eagerly spends time looking for the best fishing spots and often posts his catch on his SNS accounts. So it comes as no surprise when Kim agreed on a guest appearance on The Fishermen and The City.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- T.O.P Of BIGBANG To Finish Military Service Sooner Than Expected
After years of waiting, South Korean idol and actor T.O.P will finally complete his mandatory service in the military soon. According to reports, the Yongsan District Office has revealed that the idol-actor will be discharged earlier than the original expected date.
- Kang Ji Hwan Signs Exclusive Contract With Huayi Brothers
After a quick partnership with Jellyfish Entertainment in May 2017, actor Kang Ji Hwan returns to his former agency Huayi Brothers. On May 21, the actor signed the exclusive contract, and finally sealed a renewal of mutual trust with his previous agency.
- PRISTIN Announces Heartbreaking Disbandment After Two Years
After two years in the music industry, the members of PRISTIN are taking their final bow as a group. On May 24, Pledis Entertainment has confirmed that the girls have decided to disband, after a series of discussions with the company.
- Jellyfish Entertainment Discusses The Future Of VIXX On Its 7th Anniversary
To commemorate seven years in the music industry, Jellyfish Entertainment talked about the future of VIXX in light of many possible changes. One thing’s for sure: these boys are going to stay together no matter what happens.
K-Photo Reels: Lee Dong Wook For Marie Claire June 2019 Issue, Ryu Jun Yeol For Esquire Korea June 2019 Issue, Red Velvet’s Wendy For NYLON Korea June 2019 Issue, Kim Yoo Jung For Nylon June 2019 Issue, IZ*ONE’s Minju For ELLE Magazine June 2019 Issue, Ji Chang Wook For Marie Claire June 2019 Issue, MONSTA X’s Wonho For Elle June 2019 Issue, Girls’ Generation’s Seohyun For GQ Korea June 2019, Ha Sung Woon For Dazed Korea June 2019 Issue,
- WINNER Shares Their Feelings About BLACKPINK’s Global Success
South Korean boy group WINNER has shared their honest thoughts on their junior label mates BLACKPINK. Though feeling a bit envious about their junior’s growing success worldwide, Seung Yoon still revealed that they will always be happy to show their support to BLACKPINK.
- MONSTA X Members Name Which Artists They Would Like To Collaborate With Next
With their collaboration with Steve Aoki winning over the world so easily already in their record, the members of MONSTA X revealed which artists they would like to add next on their list of artists they have worked with.
- Jessica Talks About Her Plans For The Future And Memories From The Cannes Film Festival
Fresh from her stint at the red carpet in Cannes, former Girls’ Generation member Jessica sat down for an interview with YTN Star. The singer talked about her magical experience at the 72nd Cannes Film Festival, as well as business and career plans for the future.
- AB6IX Says Debuting First In Wanna One And MXM Helped Them Become Better Idols
The boys of AB6IX looked back on their former activities as members of Wanna One and MXM during their debut showcase on May 22! Having lived out the idol life through their previous groups, the boys revealed how much their experiences contributed to their new beginning as a group.
- Jung Eun Ji Talks About Her Latest Movie, Roots For Apink’s Future
In an interview at a cafe in Samcheong-dong, Seoul on May 22, Jung Eun Ji told behind-the-scenes stories about his upcoming film project. Jung, who is part of the idol group Apink for eight years also shared some words to her fans.
- EXCLUSIVE: DreamNote Talks About “Hakuna Matata”, TWICE As Their Role Models, And More
For a more personal, getting-to-know stage with the group, the girls of DreamNote shared their thoughts on their latest musical release and some personal fun facts about them as a group in this exclusive interview with Hellokpop.
- Quick Reviews: Bobby Kim’s “Scarlette”, Pieta’s “Escape Escape”, and Lovelyz’s “Once Upon a Time”
- K-Pop Debut Look Back: How VIXX Trained To Become A “Super Hero”
- Love Song Playlist From Your Favorite 2019 Korean Drama OSTs
As a tradition, Hellokpop’s K-Drama coverage starts December of the preceeding year to November of the current year. Hence, we have picked the best original sound tracks from Korean dramas in the last six months.