K-News Weekly Headlines: Kang Daniel And TWICE’s Jihyo Confirmed Dating, #TwoYearsWithWannaOne, “Welcome 2 Life” Premiere & More
For the first week of August, news about new beginnings and anniversary celebrations for new and old idols alike filled the K-News grapevine. For K-Drama viewers, a promising roster of new shows to enjoy has offered sneak peeks.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from August 4 to 10
- Chung Ha Selected As Ambassador For 2019 JTBC Seoul Marathon
Chung Ha has been announced as the official promotional ambassador for the upcoming JTBC Seoul Marathon this year. The singer has been selected as the goodwill ambassador for the annual event as revealed on August 5, with a poster showing her roaring with power.
- MONSTA X Becomes First K-Pop Act To Perform At The 2019 Teen Choice Awards
MONSTA X has announced their scheduled attendance as performers for this year’s Teen Choice Awards! Other performers announced for the 2019 Teen Choice Awards include international acts like HRVY, One Republic, Blanco Brown, and more.
- NU’EST Segno In Singapore Concert Cancelled
On August 6, Live Nation and PLEDIS Entertainment announced the cancellation of 2019 NU’EST CONCERT ‘Segno’ IN SINGAPORE. Due to unforeseen production issues, Singapore L.O.Λ.E will not be able to meet their idols.
- Lee Seung Gi To Embark On A Vagabond Voyage Around Asia
On August 8, Applewood Entertainment announced that Lee would be embarking on a fan meet tour. Posed to navigate Asia, the 2019 Lee Seun Gi Asia Fan Meeting: Vagabond Voyage, has released a teaser poster listing the key cities the actor will visit.
- Cha Eun Woo In Manila Fan Meeting Kicks Off Ticket-Selling
For Philippine fans, ticket-selling to the Cha Eun Woo 2019 First Fan Meeting [Just One 10 MINUTE] kicked off! Brighten up your mood by securing your ticket to see Korea’s visual god himself.
- Dok2 To THUNDERGROUND 10 Cities In Canada and Europe This September
Titled as THUNDERGROUND, the tour is set to prove as an unforgettable experience that allows audiences to witness some of K-Hip Hop’s best tracks live. Promoted and produced by Stage Session, Dok2 will be making three stops in Canada and seven stops in Europe for this tour.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- MONSTA X’s I.M Gives Powerful Message About K-Pop During WE ARE HERE Concert In New York
“There’s a lot of preconceptions about K-Pop, like K-Pop’s still like a fad. ‘Why do you guys like it? You guys don’t even understand the language.’ What? I mean, for crying out loud,” I.M said.
K-Pop News Corner
- Kang Daniel And TWICE’s Jihyo Confirmed To Be Dating, According To Their Agencies
The dating rumors between Kang Daniel and TWICE’s Jihyo had been confirmed by both of their agencies on August 5! Both idols are the first ones to have confirmed relationships to the public from TWICE and Wanna One.
- Park Jimin Departs From JYP Entertainment After 7 Years
JYP Entertainment confirms the departure of Park Jimin from the company on August 6, after the singer decided not to renew her contract for this month. With the expiration of her contract with the agency, her duo 15& is virtually disbanded.
- Lee Kwang Hyun Officially Departs From Starship Entertainment
Former Produce 101 Season 2 contestant and YDPP member Lee Kwang Hyun has left Starship Entertainment on August 6. Citing personal reasons, the trainee recently came to a decision to terminate his contract after discussions with Starship regarding his direction and future with music.
- #Epiphany50M: “Epiphany” By BTS’ Jin Reaches 50 Million Music Video Views Prior To Anniversary
Approximately two days before it celebrates its first anniversary, the beautiful comeback trailer for Love Yourself: Answer has made an equally beautiful achievement. Upon hitting fifty million views, ARMYs celebrated on Twitter with the hashtag #Epiphany50M.
- NCT DREAM Wins With BOOM on SBS MTV’s The Show
NCT DREAM was announced to be this week’s winner with their comeback song “BOOM”. It was a proud moment for every NCTzen as they witnessed NCT DREAM’s very own member, Jeno Lee, present the award to his group members.
- Lai Kuan Lin And Cube Entertainment To Begin Injunction Trial Regarding Contract Dispute This August
Officially opening the case on August 23, the Seoul Central District Court will hold the first trial interrogation regarding the appeal for exclusive contract termination filed by Lai Kuan Lin against Cube Entertainment.
- SF9’s Inseong To Take Temporary Break Due To Sternum Fracture
FNC Entertainment revealed on August 7 that SF9’s Inseong will sadly need to take a break due to a recent injury he acquired. Through an official statement, the agency informed fans of the decision to make the SF9 member rest for the meantime due to an injury in his breastbone.
- BLACKPINK Celebrates Third Debut Anniversary With Heartfelt Messages To Each Other
Three years have passed since the femme fatale group BLACKPINK entered the K-Pop scene. Celebrating their precious debut anniversary, the K-Pop quartet took time to share their sweet messages through their respective Instagram accounts.
- Kang Daniel Earns First Solo Music Show Win On KBS’ Music Bank
In the latest episode of KBS’ Music Bank, Kang Daniel emerged as the winner of the week after facing against ITZY and their comeback track “ICY”. Following his win, the former Wanna One member took to Twitter to greet his fans and show them his gratitude for giving him such a sweet victory.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- SEVENTEEN Makes Fans Go “Wow, Wow, Wow” In Enthralling “HIT” Comeback Music Video
The boy group stayed true to the title of their comeback digital single as they introduced the music industry to yet another certified “HIT” at 6 PM KST! Following the release of their comeback song “HIT”, SEVENTEEN immediately uploaded the official fanchant of their song.
- The Rose To Paint The Town RED With Comeback Scheduled For August
The Rose will be making this month bloom beautifully with new music scheduled for release this August 13! Marking their first comeback for the year, the band will be unveiling a new single album titled RED on August 1 at 6 PM KST.
- MONSTA X Surprises Fans With Teaser For New Japanese Single “Carry On”
MONSTA X sets to continue delivering more awesome content as they surprise Monbebes with a teaser video for another upcoming Japanese single on August 5! Based on the audio snippet on the teaser video, “Carry On” is a song made just in time for fans to add to their summer playlists.
- Kwon Hyun Bin Prepares For Solo Debut Under New Stage Name “VIINI”
Former Produce 101 Season 2 contestant and JBJ member Kwon Hyun Bin is finally paving the way for his new path as a soloist! Now gracing the scene as VIINI, he is set to release his first mini-album titled Dimension.
- Weki Meki Releases Teasers For Week End LOL Repackaged Album Comeback
Weki Meki just celebrated their second debut anniversary on August 8 – and this festivity is enclosed in the group’s preparation for the release of their 2nd single album repackage, Week End LOL.
- The Boyz Dazes With Announcement For DreamLike Comeback This August
The Boyz announced on the midnight of August 9 that they will be staging their comeback this month! Going for a wistful concept this summer, the group had made their comeback this August official by revealing details about their new mini-album titled DreamLike.
- Kim Jae Hwan Teases Upcoming Collaboration With A “Secret” Artist
Kim Jae Hwan personally revealed that he has a collaboration track coming soon – but with whom is the biggest question he left unanswered! Through his personal account’s Instagram stories, he shared the huge news. “I’m going to play a good song with someone in late August,” he wrote on his post.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Sneak Peek: I Wanna Hear Your Song, Love Alarm
- K-Drama Couch Recap – Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung: Episode 6, Episode 7
- K-Drama Premiere: I Wanna Hear Your Song, Welcome 2 Life, When The Devil Calls Your Name
- K-Drama Review: My First First Love
- Ok Taecyeon Psychs Up For Comeback Drama With Lee Yeon Hee
Coming back from military service, Ok Taecyeon picks a clairvoyant role in The Game: Towards Zero 더 게임: 0시를 향하여 (working title). Meanwhile, Lee Yeon Hee joins him and takes the role of a homicide detective marking her comeback drama after two years.
- OCN’s New Drams Everybody’s Lie Holds First Table-Read
Lee Min Ki and Lee Yoo Young head the main cast of Everyone’s Lie 모두의 거짓말 (literal title) . On Joo Wan, Lee Jun Hyuk, Kim Si Eun, Yun Jong Seok and the rest of the cast members joined the reading.
- Ahn Jae Hyun And Oh Yeon Soo Take Sprightly Romance Story In New MBC Drama
A prickly woman who detests handsome guys and a man obsess with his beautiful appearance spin the story of People With Flaws 하자있는 인간들 (literal translation). Aiming for a November broadcast, Ahn and Oh will mark their small screen comebacks.
- Yoon Shi Yoon, Jung In Sun And Park Sung Hoon To Star In tvN’s New Cryptic Drama
Psychopath Diary (working title) threads on the story of a man who witness the crime of a serial-killer. While running away from the murder scene, he met an accident, and wakes up without a memory and recollection of the killing that he saw.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- GOT7’s Jackson Wang Listed To Perform On The Late Late Show With James Corden
GOT7’s Jackson Wang has been listed as an upcoming performer on the website of The Late Late Show With James Corden! Listed as an upcoming guest on the show’s official ticketing site 1iota, the idol will be recording his appearance on August 13 at 3:30 PM (local time) in Los Angeles.
- Han Ye Seul, U-KISS Jun & UP10TION’s Lee Jin Hyuk To Host MBC’s Newest Beauty Make-Over Show
Taking on a make-over talk show concept, Han Ye Seul will be joined by a celebrity crew and the best Korean fashion and beauty experts. Their mission is to transform the salon clientele needing a visual appearance revamp in Sister’s Salon 언니네 쌀롱 (literal title).
- EXO’s D.O To Live Out His Love For Cooking With Official Military Designation
EXO’s D.O will be making use of his hobby in the military as he receives his official assignment of serving the kitchen! On August 6, it was revealed that the singer has been assigned to fulfilling cooking duties for his military service, set to be deployed on August 8.
- MONSTA X Heats Up Jimmy Kimmel Live Stage Debut With Fiery Performances
MONSTA X finished off another intense set of performances as they fired up the stage like they usually do for their debut on Jimmy Kimmel Live on August 8 local time! The septet performed their latest full English single “Who Do U Love?”.
K-Photo Reel: CIX For Arena Homme August 2019 Issue,
- Woo Do Hwan Shares Thoughts About “The Divine Fury” And Acting Journey
Woo Do Hwan recently met the press for an interview as part of the promotion of his new film, The King: The Eternal Monarch. Here, he shared his candid thoughts and future goals concerning his career, indulging everyone with his witty answers.
- MONSTA X’s Makeup Artist Talks About Their Iconic Looks And More With Allure Korea
Seobjoo, the trusted makeup artist of MONSTA X, revealed some behind-the-scenes beauty facts about the group in a recent makeup interview with Allure Korea! Starting by naming the most important part of doing the group’s makeup, she talked about how MONSTA X’s stage looks come to life.
- Kang Daniel Teases Ethereal Visuals In CF Sneak Peek From Korea Telecom
On August 7, a sneak peek of Kang Daniel as the newest face of the largest telephone company in the country, Korea Telecom, has been unveiled on social media! Giving a quick glimpse of the idol being one with nature, the company shared a six-second clip which showcased his ethereal visuals.
- Lee Jin Hyuk Talks About Pursuing His Idol Career Despite Having A Heart Condition
Appearing on the television for the first time after his recent heartbreak from Produce X 101, TOP Media’s Lee Jin Hyuk graced the latest episode of Radio Star. Publicly revealing for the very first time, he unveiled to everyone that he has a heart condition.
- #TwoYearsWithWannaOne: Wannables Recount Happy Memories With Wanna One In Beautiful Anniversary Messages
Wanna One’s days together might have been over as their contracts to promote with each other after Mnet’s Produce 101 Season 2 had reached its end, but the love that their fans have for them is something that will remain eternal.
- Philippine Fans, Here Are Reasons Why You Should Watch South Korean Film PARASITE
Viva International Films proudly brings award-winning South Korean box office hit Parasite exclusively on SM Cinemas nationwide. Before you flock to SM Cinema on August 14, here are more delightful reasons why it is a must-watch movie treat.