K-News Weekly Headlines: “Arthdal Chronicles” Premiere, NCT 127 Dominates Charts, AB6IX Fan Meeting Tour
The week of June 2 to 8 has been filled with exciting comeback details, tour updates from beloved idols, and thrilling exclusives.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from June 2 to 8
- AB6IX FIRST FAN MEETING [1ST ABNEW] TOUR
AB6IX will embark on their first fan meeting tour around Asia and, as of June 3, six stops are already confirmed! The tour aims to bring the group closer to fans who continue to make them stay true to their “monster rookie” brand with their unwavering love and support.
- Bigflo’s Euijin To Show More Of His Charms In First Solo Fan Meeting In Japan
Bigflo’s Euijin gears up for his solo activities, starting with a fan meeting in Japan on June 26 at the Hanatour V Hall at 8 p.m. local time. Titled e:motion, the fan meeting will showcase the different charms of the singer which fans have yet to see from his group activities.
- 2019 K-Pop Artist Festival Boasts Star-Studded Lineup
Top K-Pop acts will come together to stage an exciting and colorful event at Seoulland, Gwachon-si, Gyeonggi-do in South Korea on June 15 for the 2019 K-Pop Artist Festival.
- Stray Kids Unveils Dates And Locations For World Tour’s European Leg
Stray Kids will continue their mission to circle the globe in order to greet their beloved Stays with their hardcore performances as they announce dates and locations for their world tour’s European leg.
- Yunho And Changmin To Bring TVXQ! Concert – CIRCLE – #with In Three Asian Cities
SM Entertainment formally announced that K-Pop powerful duo Yunho and Changmin will embark on an encore concert tour titled TVXQ! Concert – CIRCLE – #with in different Asian cities by the end of June until July.
- ATEEZ Announces Continuation Of Their “Expedition” World Tour With Shows In Australia
ATEEZ finally dropped the stops, dates, and details for their international voyage’s new Australian leg! The group recently announced the Australian leg of their ongoing ATEEZ The Expedition Tour which counts two cities with two one-night-only show dates in the country.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- TXT Makes History With Powerful Stages At The Wango Tango Main Stage
On June 2 KST, TXT brought the stage of iHeartRadio’s Wango Tango festival down with their royally splendid performances! The rookie boys won over the crowd at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Los Angeles as they showcased their plethora of talents.
- MONSTA X Goes All In For The We Are Here World Tour In Bangkok
MONSTA X’s energy took over the Thunder Dome in Muang Thong Thani, Bangkok for the first overseas show of their 2019 MONSTA X World Tour [We Are Here] on June 1. They successfully wrapped up with a set of electrifying and intense performances prepared especially for Monbebes!
- Taeyeon Impressively Concludes First Solo Concert Tour In Japan
Taeyeon has successfully finished her first ever solo concert tour in Japan as she gifted fans with a memorable show at the Tokyo International Forum Hall A on May 31. Continuously showing off her beautiful visuals and stunning vocal prowess, Taeyeon was able to treat fans with 21 songs.
- 2PM’s Chansung Gifts Fans With Sweet Farewell Fan Meetings Ahead Of Military Enlistment
Less than ten days left before officially enlisting in the military, South Korean idol and actor Chansung has successfully given fans with a memorable parting present on June 1. Titled TMC: Too Much Chanformation, 2PM’s maknae graced the stage at Yes 24 Live Hall in Seoul.
- Choi Jin Hyuk Shows His Real Side At His Real Time Fan Meeting
Gifting a true meaning of fan service, Choi Jin Hyuk met his fans after four years and made their wishes come true. He showed his real side at the fan gathering held at COEX Atrium in SM TOWN, titled Real Time.
- K-Photo Reel: MONSTA X, Super Junior, Winner & More At HallyuPopFest 2019
The inaugural biggest and hottest Korean Music Festival in Singapore had ended but we still can’t get enough of the thrills and screams brought to us by our favorite K-pop stars on its second year.
K-Pop News Corner
- Stray Kids To Grace 2019 Asia Model Awards As Recipients Of New Star Award
Bang Chan, Woojin, Lee Know, Changbin, Hyunjin, Han, Felix, Seungmin, and I.N will be gracing this year’s Asia Model Awards ceremony with their powerful presences. They will be receiving recognition for being one of K-Pop’s top rising stars!
- Jessica And Krystal Jung Prepare For Second Reality Show Together
This year, Jessica and Krystal Jung are gearing up to take over everyone’s screens! Reports have confirmed that the Jung siblings are working on another reality show, this time exploring their lives in the past five years and their plans for the future.
- NCT 127 Tops South Korean And Billboard Music Charts With We Are Superhuman
All the efforts of NCT 127 and its NCTzens have surely paid off as the boy group’s newest mini album celebrates its first week on top of weekly album charts and made an impressive debut on Billboard charts.
- Former PRISTIN Members Prepare To Re-Debut Under New Management
After the announcement of PRISTIN’s disbandment a month ago, some of their members are reportedly preparing to re-debut. According to a number of songwriters, the members who parted ways with Pledis Entertainment are slated to be a part of a new girl group.
- Sehun And Chanyeol To Debut As EXO’s First Duo Sub-Unit In July
This year, EXO will be debuting another sub-unit in the form of Sehun and Chanyeol! After the smashing success of their first duet track, they are working hard to release new music as EXO’s first duo sub-unit.
- Three BTS Songs Confirmed By NASA To Be Played In Moon Voyage
Three bops from BTS will be getting the ultimate “star” treatment soon as the official Twitter account of NASA’s Johnson Space Center confirms their inclusion in the music playlist for an upcoming lunar journey.
- Sunmi’s “Gashina” Becomes Her First MV To Hit 100 Million YouTube Views
In the morning of June 4, the music video for Sunmi’s hit song “Gashina” has officially garnered more than 100 million views on the YouTube platform. Notably, it is her first ever solo track to reach the said impressive count.
- Lee Hi Spends A Week On Top Of South Korea’s Music Charts With “No One”
After a week since her highly-anticipated return, Lee Hi continues to take over South Korea’s charts — both real-time and daily — with “No One”, the lead single of her first extended play titled 24°C.
- BTS Officially Receives Invitation From Grammys To Become Voting Members Of Recording Academy
BTS has been officially invited by Grammys themselves to take part in its highly-esteemed Recording Academy! By becoming voting members of the Recording Academy, the group will get to cast their votes in the widely-celebrated Grammy Awards.
- BTS, AB6IX, And EXO Lead Boy Group Brand Reputation Rankings In June 2019
Based on the big data analysis done by the Institute from May 6 to June 7, BTS, AB6IX, and EXO were hailed as the leading groups in June. The rankings were particularly based on consumer participation, media, communication, and community indices.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- Super Junior Announces Ninth Studio Album And Plans To Promote As Nine Members
On June 3, Label SJ confirmed that Super Junior is gearing up to release new music in the second half of 2019. The entertainment company also announced that the group will be participating in future promotional activities as a nine-member group.
- TVXQ’s Yunho To Make His Solo Debut This June
The leader of TVXQ will be making his solo debut in South Korea on June 12 when he releases the extended play titled True Colors on various music sites at 6 p.m. KST. To help Cassiopeias prepare, Yunho has unveiled highlights, teaser photos, and a collaboration.
- VIXX’s Leo And Maximilian Hecker Release Collaboration, “the flower”
VIXX’s Leo gave Starlights a reason to stay up late and look forward to June 4, with the release of a studio clip featuring himself and German musician Maximilian Hecker for their collaboration titled “the flower”.
- Stray Kids Announce Comeback Details For Clé 2: Yellow Wood
Stray Kids announces they are ready to charge on with another powerful comeback as they drop details for their upcoming special album! Serving as teasers for their comeback, the boy group made Stays all around the world completely thrilled with the release of a dramatic trailer and a track list.
- Red Velvet Releases Teaser For June Comeback
Red Velvet will make summer extra hot as it announces its return with a new album this month. SM Entertainment confirmed that Irene, Seulgi, Wendy, Joy, and Yeri will release a new album titled The ReVe Festival: Day 1, marking the girls’ first comeback in 2019.
- WJSN Shares Music Teasers For Upcoming Album For The Summer
WJSN is right around the corner with brand new music! After releasing an enthralling parade of concept photos, an exciting tracklist, and a charming secret film, the girls are wrapping things up with previews of their new music.
- SF9 Revs Up For Comeback With Edgy Teaser Photo
Get ready to be enchanted by their charms again, FANTASY! SF9 will take on a more daring concept for their next comeback as reflected by their title poster reveal. Titled RPM, the album is slated for release on June 17 at 6 PM KST.
- MONSTA X Unveil Special Spoiler For Upcoming Music
MONSTA X has spread happiness with the feel-good special clip spoiler for one of their upcoming Japanese tracks “Swish”! Additionally, posted a mysterious motion teaser that momentarily shook Monbebes on the night of June 7 KST.
- Ong Seong Wu Releases Teasers For Pepsi X Starship’s “Heart Sign”
Ong Seong Wu made the color blue look so good and lovely especially for his fans who missed his side as a singer so dearly in new teasers for his first-ever solo music release! On June 4, Starship Entertainment revealed a twenty-one-second-long teaser for the song’s music video.
- BTS Releases New Tracks For BTS FESTA and BTS World
This week, BTS is celebrating their anniversary with new music. Jin crushed the hearts of many ARMYs with his somber, first self-produced song that broke records. Jin, Jimin, and Jungkook also collaborated with Charli XCX for “Dream Glow“, which was for the BTS World soundtrack.
- NCT Dream Unveils Complete Teaser Photos For SM Station’s “Don’t Need Your Love”
NCT Dream has completed dropping individual and group photo teasers as preparation for their upcoming SM Station track! Titled “Don’t Need Your Love”, the song will serve as the fourteenth track of the third season of SM Entertainment’s esteemed digital music project.
- CL, AFROJACK, And PKCZ Release Collaboration “Cut It Up”
“Intense” is an understatement to describe this recent three-way collaboration between 2NE1’s CL, AFROJACK, and Japanese hip-hop/dance collective PKCZ!
- Ha Sung Woon Releases Digital Single “Riding” Featuring Dynamic Duo’s Gaeko
Marking yet another ear candy from the singer, “Riding” marks the former Wanna One and current HOTSHOT member’s second digital single upon its release on June 5 at 6 PM KST.
- Eun Jiwon Astounds With Charismatic Teaser Poster For Comeback Solo Album
In a blog post released on June 6, the agency officially announced Eun Jiwon’s comeback date. The announcement came in together with a teaser poster. The date “2019.06.27” written on the copy affirms the day of the comeback.
- EXO’s Lay Zhang Finally Reveals The Release Date Of His New Single “Honey”
The guessing game for fans of EXO’s Lay Zhang finally ended on June 6 after the singer-songwriter dropped the release date of his highly-awaited new single “Honey”. Through his social media channels, the EXO member revealed June 14 as the day his new song will be unveiled.
- Jeon Somi Gears Up For Her Solo Debut With Colorful Teaser Photo For “Birthday”
It may have taken awhile, but the 18-year-old singer is now ready to take center stage once more with her solo debut! To prepare her fans, Jeon Somi released a teaser photo and a tracklist photo for her solo debut with “Birthday”.
- Chungha Announces Date For Scorching Summer Comeback
Five months after her smashing comeback, Chungha prepares to reign over the summer with a brand new album. MNH Entertainment has confirmed that the singer is planning to make an exciting comeback this month.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Review: Her Private Life, The Fiery Priest
- K-Drama Premiere: Arthdal Chronicles, Partners For Justice 2, Search: WWW
- K-Drama Couch Recap – One Spring Night: Ep. 5
- Woo Do Hwan Joins Upcoming Drama The King: The Eternal Monarch
Boarding the star-studded The King: The Eternal Monarch, Woo Do Hwan takes part in the upcoming drama set to air in 2020. The eagerly-awaited series is penned by star writer Kim Eun Suk and directed by Baek Sang Hoon.
- Song Joong Ki & Arthdal Chronicles Secure Top Spots For Most Popular TV Drama & Actor On Its Pilot Week
As soon as Arthdal Chronicles joined the Korean drama roster on its premiere week, Song Joong Ki soars to settle as the most talked about actor. According to data from Good Data Corporation, Arthdal Chronicles bested the currently airing dramas for dates covering May 26 to June 2.
- The 14th Seoul International Drama Awards 2019 Unveils Entries Vying For Awards
The 14th Seoul International Drama Awards 2019 is for television experts and fans from all around the world to celebrate. Aiming to recognize global dramas with outstanding artistry originality and popularity is the goal of South Korea’s one and only international television festival.
- Lee Min Ki Challenges First Detective Role Via OCN Drama With Lee Yoo Young
Produced by Studio Dragon, The Lies of All (literal title) takes Lee Min Ki and Lee Yoo Young to a thrilling ride of a cryptic conspiracy. Expressing excitement for working with a new genre, Lee Min Ki looks forward to meet fans through the series.
- SBS Drama VIP Completes Cast Roster With Lee Sang Yoon & Jang Na Ra As Main Leads
Featuring a team dedicated to serve VIP customers, it is headlined by Lee Sang Yoon and Jang Na Ra. Rounding up the main cast are Lee Chung Ah, Kwak Sun Young, Shin Jae Ha, Pyo Ye Jin, Jung Joon Won and Lee Jae Won.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Kim Jae Hwan To Take A Break After Hospitalization
Kim Jae Hwan announced on June 3 that he will be resting for the meantime after making a visit to the hospital again due to high fever. “With this, he will focus on treatment and rest for the time being,” his side’s official statement said.
- B1A4’s Jinyoung To Begin His Mandatory Military Service This June
B1A4’s Jinyoung will be the next idol group member to start his mandatory military service this 2019 after Link8 Entertainment confirmed that the singer-actor has received his notice.
- Sunshine Family Spins A Heartwarming And Amusing Tale For All Families
Sunshine Family is about a Filipino family living in Korea and adapting to Korean culture. As they immersed in their busy schedule and personal lives, they ultimately forgot the essence of being part of a family.
K-Photo Reels: Park Shin Hye For 19′ Fall Campaign Of MOJO.S.PHINE, EXID’s Solji For GQ Magazine June 2019 Issue, Jeong Sewoon For Star Magazine June 2019 Issue, Park Bom For M KWAVE Magazine’s 54th Issue,
- BTS Talks About Performing At Wembley Stadium And British Artists They Would Like To Collaborate With
Before gracing the legendary stadium in London for a sold-out two-day party, BTS first met with international reporters for a special press conference on June 1. Greeting everyone with their smiles, the boys talked about how excited they are to perform at Wembley Stadium.
- Cheetah Cites Bae Jin Young As The Most Memorable Produce 101 Trainee For Her
During her guest appearance on Idol Radio last June 2, Cheetah shared some interesting tidbits about the Mnet debut survival program Produce 101 – including her personal thoughts on which trainee has remained memorable for the series’ past four installations!
- JYJ’s Kim Junsu Is Casual And Relaxed In Photos For KWAVE Magazine
Although a few months from now Kim Junsu will turn 33 years old, his face and his overall aura do not show any signs of aging — proven by his recent photo shoot with KWAVE Magazine where he charms with his casual and relaxed demeanor.
- MONSTA X Exposes Each Other’s Secrets: Kihyun’s Sleeping Habits, Jooheon’s Alarm & More
MONSTA X has let some more secrets spill in a recent interview with Nylon Japan – with all members revealing something new about each other with no holds barred!
- Park So Dam Relays Valuable Experiences She Received From Working On The Film Parasite
Her most recent eventually made history as the first South Korean film to get Cannes’ prestigious best film grand prize. In the interview, Park So Dam shared how she agreed to work on Parasite even without knowing the film’s overview.
- AB6IX’s Daehwi Reminisces About Wanna One’s Final Concert + Reveals Kang Daniel Cried With Staff Members
AB6IX’s Daehwi looked back on his last days as a member of Wanna One and revealed some stories that left fans feeling fragile during his recent guest appearance on Radio Star!
- Sunshine Family Cast And Director Share Insights & Challenges On Working In A Cross-Cultural Film
Sunshine Family stars Sue Ramirez and Shinwoo greeted the press and local bloggers in a media conference held on June 2 at the Cornerstone office in Quezon City. Soon after, Korean actress Park Se Jin and the lovable senior actor Han Tae Il joined in. Director Kim Tai Sik was also present during the interview.
- TWICE’s “Heart Shaker” And “Yes Or Yes” Songwriter David Amber Talks About Working With Some Of K-Pop’s Top Groups, His New Song With Wengie, And More
Following his latest release on June 1, songwriter David Amber shared his experience working with some of K-Pop’s biggest names, his journey as a songwriter, and of course, some details about his latest track in this exclusive interview with Hellokpop.
- K-Pop Debut Look Back: When F.T. Island Blessed The World With A “Cheerful Sensibility”, When SS501 Sounded A “Warning” For Their Entry To The Music Scene
- Quick Reviews: Rothy’s “Color of Rothy”, Sunwoo Jung-A’s “Stand”, And Colde’s “Love Part 1”
- Channeling Your Inner “Running Man” With Discover Seoul Pass At The Running Man Thematic Experience Center
Travel to Insadong where the Running Man Thematic Experience Center was located.
- 4 Ways Discover Seoul Pass Saves You Money You Probably Did Not Know About
It’s no secret how much savings you get by availing a Discover Seoul Pass because it allows you to enjoy 35 attractions for free for a period of either 24, 48, or 72 hours.