K-News Weekly Headlines: B.I. Announces Departure From iKON + Yunho, Somi & EXO’s Lay Comeback + New Netflix Korean Titles & More
This week has been quite a rollercoaster: idols have been announcing their enlistments, and departures from their group — but some have met this week with long-awaited comebacks.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from June 9 to 13
- Ticketing Details For AB6IX 1ST FANMEETING [1ST ABNEW] IN SINGAPORE Revealed
On June 5, HallyuPopFest announced details to AB6IX first fan meeting in Singapore. The show titled, AB6IX 1ST FANMEETING [1ST ABNEW] IN SINGAPORE is slated to happen on July 27 at The Star Theatre.
- MONSTA X Delivers Dates And Details For We Are Here World Tour In Japan
A new leg has been added to the group’s currently-running international concert showcase 2019 MONSTA X WORLD TOUR [WE ARE HERE], as they announced two-night shows in two cities in Japan on June 11.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- Red Velvet, NCT 127, ELRIS, & Kim Donghan Stage The Hottest Concert Party At The K-Pop World Music Festival 2019 In Manila
Thunderous cheers and passionate energy filled the Mall Of Asia Arena for the highly-anticipated K-Pop World Music Festival 2019 on June 9. Presented by DnM Entertainment and All Access Production, and hosted by Ryan Bang, the festival featured some of the biggest idols including Red Velvet, NCT 127, ELRIS, and Kim Donghan.
- IZ*ONE Stages Dream-like Performance For EYES ON ME Solo Concert
IZONE went all out for their very first solo concert. The group kicked off their IZONE 1ST CONCERT [EYES ON ME] tour with a spectacular three-day show at the Jamsil Indoor Stadium in Seoul.
- MONSTA X Successfully Wraps Up First-Ever Visit To Australia For We Are Here World Tour
MONSTA X made their first-ever landing in Australia extremely successful with their Monbebes! With their show at the ICC Sydney Theatre on June 5 and the Margaret Court Arena in Melbourne on June 8, the group made sure to deliver unforgettable concert experiences.
- B.A.P’s Youngjae Wraps Up First Solo Overseas Fan Meeting With Much Love From Fans
After debuting as a solo artist in April this year, B.A.P’s Youngjae held his first solo overseas fan meeting at the Akasaka Blitz in Tokyo, Japan. Titled Begin Again, the fan meetings were held at 2 p.m. and 6 p.m. local time on June 8.
K-Pop News Corner
- Produce X 101 Recap: Trainees Battle It Out As Position Evaluation Begins,
- SEVENTEEN’s The8 To Donate All Proceeds From His Self-Composed Song “Dreams Come True”
SEVENTEEN’s The8 dropped his new Chinese-language single “Dreams Come True” on June 9 at 1 p.m. KST. All proceeds from “Dreams Come True” will be donated to a public welfare program which aims to encourage and help people pursue and achieve their dreams.
- TXT Opens Official Fan Community On WeVerse And Welcomes Fans With Cute Greetings
Just in time for their 100th-day-anniversary celebration as a group following their debut, TXT opened their new official fan community on June 11 through WeVerse! The group’s five members also personally greeted their fans with individual posts on the platform upon its launch.
- SEVENTEEN Receives Platinum Certification For Happy Ending
SEVENTEEN earns another achievement under its name after its latest Japanese-language single album Happy Ending received a platinum certification from the Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- EXO’s Lay Zhang Wins “Best Male Supporting Actor” At The 25th Huading Awards
After breaking records and setting new milestones on QQ Music with his new album Honey on June 11, EXO’s Lay Zhang brought home another trophy and added a new achievement under his name on June 12 — this time, for acting.
- GOT7’s BamBam Takes Home Male Popular Vote Award From The 8th Daradaily Awards In Thailand
GOT7’s BamBam recently took home yet another accolade from his home country Thailand – and this time, he happily received his first solo award. He graced the ceremony of the 8th Daradaily Awards on June 12 at the Siam Pic-Ganesha Theatre in Bangkok as the recipient of the Male Popularity Vote Award.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- ATEEZ Makes A Comeback With Treasure EP.3 : One To All
Six months after their smashing comeback with Treasure EP.2: Zero to One, rising boy group ATEEZ will be giving the world an unforgettable summer soundtrack with their upcoming comeback. From the technicolor aesthetic to its interactive aspect, this is one comeback you will not forget.
- BTS To Release Soundtrack For Mobile Game BTS World, Unveils Collaboration With Zara Larsson
Apart from one-of-a-kind gameplay for their upcoming mobile app, BTS will be treating everyone to music specifically made for their game as they prepare to release a soundtrack for BTS World. The group also released “A Brand New Day”, the second song off the mobile game’s soundtrack featuring Zara Larsson.
- EXO’s Baekhyun Prepares To Make Solo Debut
EXO’s Baekhyun will be filling the airwaves soon with his heavenly voice all on his own as he prepares to release his solo music. SM Entertainment revealed the fantastic news in response to reports about the singer’s new venture.
- Stray Kids Unveils Concept Photos For Clé 2: Yellow Wood
In preparation for their return with the album Clé 2: Yellow Wood on June 19, the group set off a deadly countdown with sets of killer teaser photos which had fans on the edge of their seats for every release.
- MONSTA X To Ask “Who Do U Love” In Brand New Single
At last, MONSTA X revealed the huge news they have been keeping a secret this entire time – which is nothing but a sweet new musical treat to their loving Monbebes! Along with the ravishing teaser came the revelation of an international artist featuring in the track – who is none other than the internationally-acclaimed musician French Montana!
- TVXQ’s Yunho Releases Teaser Video For “Follow”, Breaks Records For True Colors
TVXQ’s Yunho is the most enigmatic leader in an alluring teaser video for his upcoming single “Follow” which will front his first solo Korean-language mini album True Colors. Through the mini album, Yunho now holds the second highest first day sales in Hanteo for a male soloist.
- Chungha Releases A Scheduler For Her Flourishing Comeback
Chungha will be returning to the music scene with a mini album titled Flourishing, slated for release on June 24. To give her fans a sneak peek into what they can expect, the singer has unveiled a helpful scheduler through social media!
- EXO’s Lay Zhang Releases Record-Breaking New Album Honey
EXO’s Lay Zhang made June extra sweeter for the music industry as he dropped his upcoming album titled Honey on June 14 with four tracks. As soon as pre-order for the new album started on June 11, his fans wasted no time to show their support — breaking records and setting new milestones.
- VIXX’s Leo Releases Gorgeous Teasers For Muse
VIXX’s Leo captivates fans in his latest photographs for his second mini album titled Muse which were released at midnight KST of June 11 on VIXX’s social media channels. He keeps the momentum for his second mini album going, through an album trailer for his upcoming lead single “Romanticism”.
- Super Junior’s Yesung Unveils Teasers And Details For Pink Magic
More than two years after his second extended play Spring Falling, Super Junior’s Yesung will come back with another extended play and join the list of artists who will fill June with new releases. He will also be releasing self-written tracks “Eat’s OK” and “Wish”.
- Ong Seong Wu Gives Refreshing Summer Vibes In Music Video For First Solo Song “Heart Sign”
Ong Seong Wu painted a perfect summer getaway as he cooled down in the music video of his solo song released on June 11! Titled “Heart Sign”, the former Wanna One member made fans hear his comforting and breezy voice once again through his solo song produced by Flow Blow.
- TWICE Releases Japanese Singles “Happy Happy” And “Breakthrough”
South Korean girl group TWICE has finally dropped the music videos for their highly-anticipated fourth and fifth Japanese singles “Happy Happy” And “Breakthrough” on June 11.
- B.A.P’s Zelo Releases Album Trailer For Distance
Zelo is ready to follow on his B.A.P brothers’ lead as he also gears up for his solo debut this June with a mini album. The rapper will officially begin his career as a solo artist through the release of his first mini album titled Distance on June 21 — six months after leaving TS Entertainment.
- (G)I-DLE Confirms Another Powerful Comeback Scheduled For June
Cube Entertainment confirmed on June 13 that (G)I-DLE is indeed scheduled for a comeback this month! Additionally, it was shared that they have officially commenced preparations by filming their music video in Gyeonggi province today – which their agency confirmed later on.
- Jeon Somi Makes Record-Breaking Comeback With “Birthday”
Jeon Somi marked the end of her long hiatus with the release of her first-ever song post-I.O.I on June 13! Upon its release, “Birthday” topped the realtime charts of Mnet and Naver. Additionally, the track ranked first in Bugs and Soribada’s daily music charts.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Review: Beautiful World,
- K-Drama Premiere: Perfume,
- K-Drama Couch Recap – Arthdal Chronicles: Premiere, Ep 03, Ep 04
- Kim Hye Yoon & SF9’s Rowoon Land First Lead Roles In Upcoming MBC Drama
Announcing their latest offering, MBC confirms school-set romantic drama A Day Found By Chance (literal translation). Headlining the series are rising actors who have made quite a successful splash in their recent respective projects.
- Arthdal Chronicles Keeps Popular TV Drama Rank, Jung Hae In Reclaims Top TV Drama Actor Rank
Taking the first two spots for popular television dramas are Arthdal Chronicles and One Spring Night respectively. Strangely the curve of Arthdal’s popularity surged up even with negative feedbacks on its complex narrative.
- jTBC’s Upcoming Youth Drama Eighteen Moments Releases First Teaser Posters
Eighteen Moments, the network’s newest youth drama, unveiled two posters highlighting youthful vibes and Ong Seong Wu’s visuals. The posters, released today, June 12, stimulated excitement and hyped-up anticipation for the upcoming series.
- My First First Love S2 Promises More Young Love & Friendship Stories On Its Netflix Premiere In July
Exactly 100 days since its first season premiere, Ji Soo, Jung Chae-yeon, Jung Jinyoung, Kang Tae Oh, and Choi Ri are set to reprise their roles in My First First Love S2. On July 26, the much-awaited sequel will be streamed on Netflix.
- Chief Of Staff Starring Lee Jung Jae & Shin Min Ah To Raise Political Power Plays On Its Netflix Launch
Bannered by Hallyu stars Lee Jung Jae and Shin Min Ah, Chief of Staff begins tonight on Netflix, an hour after its Korean premiere broadcast. Navigating to the world of political aides, the story features the significant commitment of advisors to politicians.
- Netflix To Air Korean Adaptation Of American TV Series Designated Survivor
Titled Designated Survivor: 60 Days, the remake follows the narrative of the original series but giving a more Korean feel, the drama will tell the story of a scientist turned politician who inadvertently becomes the President of South Korea.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Kang Daniel Sets Up His Own Agency In Preparation For Solo Debut
From singer, dancer, rapper, and Korea’s favourite center – Kang Daniel now adds a CEO title to his name as he launches his own agency! The former Wanna One member also got to speak to his fans once again through a live video on his personal Instagram account.
- Park Hyung Sik Takes A Break From The Limelight, Enters Training Camp
Park Hyung Sik entered the Nonsan Army Recruitment Training Center in South Chungcheong Province, today June 10 at 2PM. He will undergo five weeks of basic military training after which he will become an active duty soldier in the military police for the duration of his enlistment.
- Song Joong Ki Reunites With A Werewolf Boy Director, Pairs Up With Kim Tae Ri For New Film
Touted as a never-before-seen film, Song Joong Ki headlines a sci-fi work that has been conceptualized by Director Jo Sung Hee in the last 10 years. The actor will appear with well-loved and rising actress Kim Tae Ri in the film The Victory (literal translation).
- Lee Jung Shin Receives Nomination For Best Photograph At The 2019 INSP Awards
Shot in Myanmar as part of FNC’s volunteer activity in February 2018, one photo captured by Lee Jung Shin was submitted via The Big Issue Korea. It eventually landed as a finalist under the Best Photograph category at the 2019 INSP Awards.
- B.I Announces Departure From iKON And YG Entertainment Over Attempted Drug Purchase
Shortly after many reports circulated in the morning of June 12 linking him to an illegal drugs issue, B.I has decided to officially depart from iKON. The former leader of the boy group took to Instagram to make a formal announcement to fans.
- Kim Go Eun Broadens Portfolio With Her Role In South Korea’s First Musical Film
It has not been long since Kim Go Eun bagged the female lead role of highly-anticipated drama with Lee Min Ho. Clinching her next work, she picks her big screen venture through Hero.
- Lee Won Geun Quietly Enlists For Military Service
Confirming that Lee Won Geun officially began his military duty. The actor entered the training camp today, June 13, and will be serving as a conscripted police officer for the remaining of his service.
- Yang Hyun Suk Officially Resigns From YG Entertainment Amidst Controversies
Yang Hyun Suk formally announced on June 14 that he is finally resigning from YG Entertainment following controversies currently hounding him. After founding the company and being one of the key people for over twenty years, Yang Hyun Suk has made his decision to step down from all of the positions he serves at the agency.
- INFINITE’s L And Shin Hye Sun Are Grateful For The Love Their Drama Is Getting
Responding to the high ratings the Angel’s Last Mission: Love is receiving, Infinite’s L said he appreciate the big love. Likewise, Shin Hye Sun reveals her thoughts on how the drama is received based on numbers.
- Jeon Somi Says There Are No Hard Feelings Between Her And JYP Entertainment
In celebration of her much-awaited solo debut, Jeon Somi shared several stories at her press conference held on June 13. Among those she talked about was the reason why she left her previous agency JYP Entertainment and how things have been between them since her departure.
- MONSTA X’s Wonho Shares Simple Workout Routine With Elle Korea For Monbebes To Try
The MONSTA X fitness buff gave fans further inspiration to get up and start working out through a five-minute video shared by the magazine recently. Portraying the perfect personal trainer, Wonho imparted much-needed exercise routines which everyone can conveniently do at home.
- K-Pop Debut Look Back: How 4Minute Became A “Hot Issue”
- Idol List: 10 Male K-Pop Idols Who Radiated Fiery Vibes With Red Hair
- Album Review: Jambinai – Onda
- #Happy_25th_JRDAY: 7 Things That Fans Would Love To Tell NU’EST’s Kim Jong Hyun
Today, June 8, marks another year for NU’EST’s Kim Jong Hyun as he turns 25 years old in South Korea. As most people who call themselves as LOVE and consider Jong Hyun as their bias in the boy group, we would love to give their sincere birthday wishes.
- 6 Must-Try Tips On How You Can Maximize Your Discover Seoul Pass
As you step into the Land of the Morning Calm, you will realize that 72 hours — the maximum duration of Discover Seoul Pass — will be probably insufficient to visit all 35 attractions included in the pass. So, is it possible to maximize your DSP? The answer is a resounding YES — and we got six tips on how you can get the most out of your pass.
- 20 Korean Dramas That Take You To Interesting Careers And Workplaces
Typically, workplace Korean dramas have its romance tag reputation. However, it has since navigated to unique jobs, and the healing fictional narratives drawn from the character’s profession.
- #6YearsWithBTS: How BTS Became A Home For ARMYs Worldwide
Six years ago today, BTS broke out into the music scene with “No More Dream”. Since then, the group has clawed their way up to the top and achieved milestones that seemed impossible before. The group has continually charmed the world with their catchy sound, phenomenal vocals — and huge hearts.
- 6 New Korean Dramas & Film To Add On Your Netflix Binge-Watch List
Officially unveiled on June 14, fans of K-dramas will be gifted with a roster of Korean wave’s best content. An extraordinary lineup of Netflix Korean original series is set to parade this Summer and Fall seasons.
- 6 Reasons Why July Will Be A Roller Coaster Ride Of Emotions For EXO-L
Make a checklist of all the preparations you need, EXO-L, because you only have 15 more days before SM Entertainment tests your sanity through the various activities it has lined up for EXO in the coming month.