K-News Weekly Headlines: Kang Daniel Solo Debut, Ma Dong Seok Joining MCU, Cha Eun Woo First Fan Meeting Tour & More
The past week has been quite a thrilling one, as fans have been met with exciting releases and record-breaking feats from their K-Pop idols, and viewers are enjoying an ever-growing roster of K-Dramas to consume.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from July 21 to 27.
- MONSTA X To Livestream WE ARE HERE World Tour Show In Los Angeles
MONSTA X and Naver V Live are teaming up to bring the extreme concert experience to Monbebes all around the world with a livestream of the group’s upcoming show in Los Angeles! The anticipation heightens as MONSTA X has always shown extreme popularity in real-time broadcasts.
- The 2019 M2 X Genie Music Awards Announces Ambassadors And Artist Lineup
Having announced the first wave of their artist line up, hints about what would happen at the 2019 M2 x Genie Music Awards have already surfaced – and it is already making fans even more excited! Meanwhile, Apink’s Bomi and MAMAMOO’s Solar have been appointed as ambassadors.
- Park Hae Jin Announces First Fan Meeting In The Philippines
The Cheese in the Trap star will make hearts flutter for the first time as he will personally greet fans. Slated for September 21, Park Hae Jin will hold a fan meeting full of fun activities and surprises for his fans.
- Score First Dibs To EXO Planet #5 – EXplOration Tickets Through K-mmunity PH
EXO is coming back to Manila, and EXO-Ls across the country could not be more excited. If you are an EXO-L who can’t wait to score tickets to EXO’s upcoming concert, K-mmunity PH has your back!
- 2019 Busan One Asia Festival Confirms First Artist Lineup
2019 Busan One Asia Festival, also known as BOF, has started to unveil the artists joining the festivities this year. According to the organization, the lineup is based on using big data which mainly targets K-pop fans. The result represents the fans’ preferences.
- Cha Eun Woo Promises Blissful Minutes To Share On His First Asia Fan Meeting Tour
It’s true and happening – Cha Eun Woo is ready to charm his Asian fans on his first ever fan meeting tour! Scheduled in October, the rising actor will visit five major cities in Asia through the Cha Eun Woo 2019 1st Fan Meeting – JUST ONE 10 MINUTE.
- MONSTA X To Make Fans’ Hearts Beat In Indonesia With V Live Event
MONSTA X has been announced as the first artist on the performer line-up for V Live’s upcoming special event in Jakarta, Indonesia! Titled V Heartbeat <The Gateway To Asia> 2019 in Jakarta, the music celebration is scheduled to take place on August 31.
- Im Si Wan To Get Closer With Supporters At His Seoul Fan Meeting
Plum Entertainment announced that Im Si Wan will hold his first fan meeting after four years. The fan meeting is set on September 7 at White Hall Arts Center. The 2019 Im Si Wan Fan Meeting – Close To You: Closer is the first fan meeting after his Asia Tour Fan Meeting Hello in 2015.
- VAV Gives More To Filipino Vampz For Meet & Live In Manila
Shining vocal stars, VAV, is coming to the land of hope and smiles with VAV 2019 Meet & Live in Manila! Confirmed by A Team Entertainment, the seven-member wonder will meet with fans at the SM North Edsa Skydome on September 7.
- N.Flying Brings Soaring Excitement For Up All Night Live In Manila
FNC Entertainment’s finest, N.Flying, is coming to the Philippines for the N.Flying 2019 Live ‘Up All Night’ in Manila! Set to give Filipino N.Fias a taste of their exhilarating live performances, the group will take the stage on September 1 at the New Frontier Theater.
- MONSTA X, KARD, And WJSN To Headline Finger Heart Festival In Germany
MONSTA X, KARD, and WJSN will be headlining the Finger Heart Festival with their spectacular performances! Fans in Mannheim, Germany will get to take part in a celebration of Korean culture as the Korea Tourism Organization and Semmel Concerts bring on a festival this September 28!
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- NCT 127 Wraps Up Neo City: The Origin Tour With Superhuman Performances In Singapore
Rocking the Singapore Indoor Stadium, NCT 127 staged the final stop of Neo City: The Origin world tour with a bang. Let’s round up the unforgettable moments that happened at their first solo concert in the Sunny Island.
K-Pop News Corner
- BTS’ Jimin, Jungkook, & EXO’s Baekhyun Named As Leading Boy Group Members In July Brand Reputation Rankings
The Korean Business Institute has recently revealed the brand reputation rankings among K-Pop boy group members for the month of July. Specifically, the organization hailed BTS’ Jimin and Jungkook, and EXO’s Baekhyun as this month’s leading idols.
- MAMAMOO’s Hwasa Tops Brand Reputation Rankings Among Girl Group Members In July
Among the 455 female idols, MAMAMOO’s Hwasa impressively rose to take the first place. She broke the extensive record of BLACKPINK’s Jennie, who led the rankings for six consecutive months.
- Jellyfish Entertainment Shares Updates On Kim Min Kyu After Produce X 101
On July 22, Jellyfish Entertainment relayed the latest news on their trainee from the Mnet debut survival show who was well-loved by many viewers thanks to his gorgeous visuals and equally beautiful attitude and manners.
- Lai Kuan Lin Reveals Cube Entertainment Transferred His Contract Rights Without Consent
Lai Kuan Lin stated that Cube Entertainment has committed violations against his exclusive contract as relayed by his legal representative on July 23. Besides relaying his official statement through his legal representative, the rapper revealed that he has already filed a lawsuit against the agency.
- Taeyeon Tops South Korean Music Charts With “A Poem Titled ‘You’”
Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon charms viewers and SONEs alike as she soars to the top of the charts with her newest release, “A Poem Titled ‘You’”. The track topped major South Korean music charts: namely MelOn, Genie, Naver Music, Bugs, and Ole Music upon its release.
- Chung Ha, Ha Sung Woon, INFINITE’s Sung Jong And Woo Hyun, And More Lend Voices To Audio Books
EBS’ newest audio book project Idol Books has named the artists who gladly participated in its meaningful mission of helping underprivileged youth! Making a heartwarming use of their beautiful voices, several K-Pop idols have teamed up with EBS in releasing new audio books.
- GQ Magazine Names BTS’ Jimin Among “10 Best-Dressed Men Of The Week” For His Airport Fashion
BTS’ Jimin has ended up on GQ Magazine’s list of “10 Best-Dressed Men Of The Week”, as shared on July 22. As photographed by Han Myung Gu, Jimin, who was all dressed in black during the group’s landing at the Gimpo Airport in Seoul on July 17, made the cut for the fashion list.
- Day6 Receives First-Ever Music Show Win + My Days Send Emotional Congratulatory Messages
Day6 has received their first-ever music show win through the July 24 episode of Show Champion! During their acceptance of the music show trophy, the boys delivered heartwarming ments which made everyone even more emotional.
- Taeyeon Becomes A Member Of The Red Cross Honors Club After Generous Donation
On July 24, it was revealed that Taeyeon recently made a generous donation to the Jeonbuk Branch of the Korean Red Cross. Through this donation, the singer became the 132nd member of the Red Cross Honors Club (RCHC).
- ATEEZ Signs With American Company RCA Records
ATEEZ has just taken another step on their journey to world domination as power rookies by signing with an American label. The top-notch rookie group recently signed a contract with the American record company RCA Records.
- EXO-SC Sets Record On Weibo For Most Real-Time Viewers On Live Broadcast By Korean Artists
EXO-SC recently hosted a live broadcast on China’s Weibo on July 20 KST– which recorded a total of 2.117 million live viewers. This marked the first time in the history of Korean artists to surpass two million live viewers as well as achieve such record-high figures in the Chinese media channel.
- BLACKPINK Records Sixth MV To Surpass 400 Million YouTube Views With “Whistle”
BLACKPINK has added a brand new feat to their already stellar YouTube records as their “Whistle” music video smashed 400 million views. In the evening of July 26, the girls’ music video for 2016 hit track “Whistle” has officially joined the 400-million club on YouTube.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- EXO’s Suho Gives Spoiler Alert On New Album Scheduled For Release This Year
During his ment at the third day of EXO PLANET #5 – EXplOration in Seoul, Suho made a music-related surprise announcement that also served as a major spoiler to fans. “To give you a light hint, there will be a new album coming from us within this year,” he said.
- EXO-SC Centers On Being Young And Free In “What A Life” Unit Debut Music Video
Chanyeol and Sehun made fans say “what a life” indeed in the music video for the season’s newest youth anthem “What A Life”! Released on July 22 at midnight KST, the song leads their first mini-album of the same name, along with two other tracks.
- CIX Unveils Sneak Peeks Of Songs Ahead Of Debut, Releases Music Video For “Movie Star”
CIX keeps fans at the edge of their seats with the sneak peek at the songs they have prepared for their debut album, Hello, Stranger. They also made sure their debut would be made as intensely impactful as possible with the heart-stopping music video for their first-ever release “Movie Star”!
- VERIVERY Releases Teaser Photos And Tracklist For First Single Album
VERIVERY is coming to help fans beat the summer heat as they return with their first single album this July 31! VERI-CHILL, the album’s title, matches well with the vibe of its teaser photos, which was divided in two equally thrilling concept sets.
- BTOB’s Peniel To Soar The Streaming Waves With New Digital Single
BTOB’s Peniel announced a new addition to his discography— a solo digital single coming out on July 31! He posted a comic book style photo teaser on July 22 on his social media channels.
- Kang Daniel Makes Solo Debut With Color On Me
Kang Daniel made a breakthrough performance for his much-awaited solo debut with the mini-album Color On Me and its title track “What Are You Up To?” going huge on various charts all around the world!
- ITZY Unveils Comeback Teaser Photos And Track List For IT’z Icy
Power rookies ITZY broke out into the K-Pop scene with their explosive single “Dalla Dalla” – now, they are coming with their first mini-album, IT’z Icy! Their teaser photos display their stunning visuals with a cool atmosphere perfect for the summer.
- MONSTA X Announces OST Release For MONSTA X’s Puppy Days Web Show
MONSTA X preps up for the unveiling of an original soundtrack they made for MONSTA X’s Puppy Days with a day-before announcement on July 23! Titled “Breathe For You”, the song will be released on July 24 at 6 PM KST.
- Celeb Five Announces Comeback At The End Of August
The four fiery ladies of Celeb Five is here to heat up everyone’s summer as they reveal plans to come back with a new song at the end of August! What could comediennes Kim Shin Young, Song Euni, Shin Bong Sun, and Ahn Young Mi have in store for fans next?
- The Rose’s Woosung Completes Photo Teasers For Solo Debut Mini Album
The Rose’s Woosung is gearing up to make his solo debut with a mini album slated for release on July 25. Titled Wolf, the mini-album marks the band’s lead vocalist and guitarist’s newest venture as a soloist, and fans are already very excited to see what he has in store.
- Starship Entertainment Shares Plans To Debut New Boy Group In 2020
Starship Entertainment revealed on July 24 that they are currently preparing to introduce a new boy group for next year! With this news from the agency, fans are keeping an eye on whether their remaining three trainees will finally make their debut as idols or not.
- SEVENTEEN Releases “Unchained Melody” Comeback Teaser
SEVENTEEN solicited excited screams from fans as they unveiled the prologue video for their upcoming release titled An Ode 1 : Unchained Melody! The surprise reveal from the thirteen-member group was made on the midnight of July 24.
- MAMAMOO Twinkles With A Brilliant Glow For “Gleam” Music Video
On July 24, MAMAMOO released their new song “Gleam” – a retro summer-vibed track perfect for the sunny season! Donning different styles of sunglasses, the girl group accentuated the bright melody of the song with both their outstanding visuals and voices.
- OH MY GIRL Gears Up To Release A Summer Package Album In August
OH MY GIRL is currently preparing a pleasant surprise for their beloved Miracles as they announce the plans to make a comeback. The group has confirmed that they will be unveiling new summer themed music, slated for release this August.
- Enlisted Members Of SHINee, EXO, INFINITE, Wanna One, 2AM, BTOB Bring Dream Collab For Military Special Single
Enlisted members of SHINee, EXO, INFINITE, 2AM, BTOB, and Wanna One, along with talented actors who are also in the military, are teaming up to bring a more-than-special single to the world!
- BTS’ RM Takes Fans To “Seoul Town Road” With Lil Nas X For Collaboration Remix
BTS’ RM and Lil Nas X have collaborated to bring fans a remix of the latter’s hit “Old Town Road” – this time, titled as “Seoul Town Road”! Besides lending his amazing rap skills as a featured artist on the song, RM also took part in composing and penning the lyrics of the remix.
- NCT DREAM Shows They Have Grown Up With A New Sound In “BOOM” Comeback Music Video
Complementing the darkness of the midnight when it was released, the NCT sub-unit made an explosive return with the music video for the lead track of their newest album WE BOOM. “BOOM” projected a more grown-up image for the group following Mark’s “graduation”.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Sneak Peek: At Eighteen,
- K-Drama Premiere: Justice, Doctor Detective, Doctor John
- K-Drama Couch Recap – Hotel Del Luna: Episode 3, Episode 4
- K-Drama Couch Recap – Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung: Episode 3, Episode 4
- CLC’s Eunbin And “ATEEN” Actor Ryu Eui Hyun Join New KBS Drama With Seol In Ah And Kim Jae Young
CLC’s Eunbin and ATEEN actor Ryu Eui Hyun have bagged roles in the upcoming KBS drama Love Is Beautiful, Life Is Wonderful (working title)! The two will be teaming up with each other in brewing romance as a supporting couple for the drama.
- Here’s Your First Look At MBN’s Upcoming Drama The Graceful Family Official Poster
Lim Soo Hyang and Lee Jang Woo are ready for romance and a happy ending in the drama Graceful Family. The photo shows both a relaxed and glamorous atmosphere at the same time as both lead stars don stylish ensembles.
- Lee Sun Gyun And Jung Ryeo Won Team Up In New jTBC Drama
Based on the best-selling book 검사내전 Prosecutor Civil War (literal translation) by Kim Woong, Lee Sun Gyun and Jung Ryeo Won challenge what seemed to be a healing drama, depicting the less romanticized lives of prosecutors.
- Love Alarm Lets Young Romance Beats Through A Mobile App On Netflix In August
“If you’re in love, Love Alarm will ring, If you’re in love, you cannot hide your feelings.” Set to premiere on August 22, the series narrates the story of friends who find themselves caught in between what they sincerely feel and what a mobile app recommends to be their liking.
- 14th Seoul International Drama Awards Announces Final List Of Nominees
Organizers of the 14th Seoul International Drama Awards held a press conference on July 25, where the panel revealed the list of finalists. The entries received this year set a record for the award-giving body – 270 entries from 61 countries.
- tvN Asia Announces Upcoming Express Drama When The Devil Calls Your Name
tvN Asia proudly announces its latest 24-hour express drama When The Devil Calls Your Name, starring Jung Kyung Ho, Park Sung Woong, and Lee Seol, which will premiere on tvN from August 1 at 9.45pm (GMT+8) in Singapore and Malaysia, and at 8.45pm (GMT+7) in Indonesia.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Ma Dong Seok Confirmed To Join The Marvel Universe
Among movies like The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings, Marvel Studios announced The Eternals. The cast for the movie included Don Lee — who is none other than Korea’s own Ma Dong Seok.
- Song Hye Kyo Deletes All Photos With Song Joong Ki On Instagram After Finalization Of Their Divorce
On July 22, news broke that the Seoul Family Court released their decision to finalize the divorce between the famed ex-couple. Not only did this announcement change the legal status of the Song-Song couple, but the actress’ Instagram feed also reflected the change.
- MONSTA X Listed As Upcoming Guest Performers At “Jimmy Kimmel Live” This August
Looks like MONSTA X is set to grace the American television scene once again as Jimmy Kimmel Live notes them as part of their upcoming artist guests on their website! According to the website, all artists are booked to appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live‘s August 8 (local time) episode.
- Mnet Announces Lineup For Upcoming Variety Show, Queendom
This year, Mnet is rolling out an exciting competition show among girl groups titled Queendom! After generating buzz over the concept that will be driving the show forward, the channel has confirmed the star-studded roster that will be featured on the show.
- OH MY GIRL To Guest On Idol Room This August
This August, OH MY GIRL will be gracing your screens once more as they confirm their appearance in Idol Room! Miracles can look forward to learning more about the preparations for their comeback, as well as a special performance of their new title track.
- We Bare Bears Episode Featuring MONSTA X To Finally Air In Korea With Two Versions
The MONSTA X and We Bare Bears crossover episode will finally be broadcasted in Korea. Additionally, two versions of the show will air consecutively – one with the original English version containing Korean subtitles, and the other dubbed in Korean. It will begin at 8 PM KST.
K-Photo Reel: Lee Je Hoon For Singles August 2019 Issue, The Cast of jTBC’s “Be Melodramatic” For Marie Claire August 2019 Issue, Kwon Na Ra For Arena Homme August 2019 Issue, Sung Hoon For Cosmopolitan August 2019 Issue, Yoo Seung Ho For Singles August 2019 Issue, Urban Zakappa 10th Year Anniversary For Harper’s Bazaar August 2019 Issue, EXID’s Hani For DAZED Korea August 2019, Lee Sung Kyung For DAZED Korea August 2019, IU And Yeo Jin Goo For Marie Claire’s August 2019 Issue,
- GOT7’s Jackson Wang Drops Fendi Velvet Collection Collaboration
GOT7’s Jackson Wang has unveiled his collaboration of velvet apparel collection with Fendi! According to the esteemed fashion brand, “the capsule collection fuses Chinese pop street culture with the Fendi DNA”.
- MONSTA X’s Joohoney Talks About Watching “Hotel Del Luna” With Minhyuk + Shares Thoughts On Trying Out Acting
MONSTA X’s Joohoney dished on his latest K-Drama watching spree and even shared his thoughts on trying out the life of an actor during his latest Naver V Live broadcast!
- Ong Seong Wu Dishes On The Sweet Support From Wanna One Members For His Acting Debut
Ong Seong Wu shared the cute way his Wanna One groupmates had been cheering on him as he prepares for his acting debut with At Eighteen. During the press conference on his upcoming drama in Seoul, the artist talked about the overflowing support that the group had been giving him.
- MONSTA X Stands As “Destroyer” Of Toxic Masculinity In GQ Interview
MONSTA X continues to break barriers – set not just by language, culture, or race, but also by gender – in their recent interview with GQ Magazine. The group made its mark by openly talking about their take on a very interesting and relevant topic – masculinity.
- GOT7’s Jackson Is The Epitome Of Luxury As The Newest Face Of Cartier
GOT7’s Jackson happily announced on July 26 that he has been selected as the newest global brand model of the high-end French brand Cartier. Modeling its esteemed collection Juste Un Clou, the rapper has become the newest face of the brand known best for its elegant jewelry and watch lines.
- Produce X 101 Maroo Trainees Talk About Their Experience On The Show & Love From Lee Dong Wook
The Maroo line of Produce X 101 kicked the notch up on being adorable during their recent interview where they talked about their experiences and challenges on the show – and Lee Dong Wook!
- Kang Daniel On Taking The Stage Alone Now: “Wanna One Was A Perfect Team”
As he marks his arrival with Color On Me, Kang Daniel expressed his feelings on debuting as a soloist, especially in terms of standing alone on stage. During the press showcase, he talked about the difference of promoting on his own compared to having a group like Wanna One along with him.
- K-Drama Time Machine: “Age of Youth” Brings Fond Memories Of Love & Friendship We Keep Dearly In Our Hearts, Jo In Sung And Gong Hyo Jin Shared Heartfelt Romance On “It’s Okay That’s Love”, Jung Eun Ji & Seo In Guk Warmed Viewers’ Hearts With Nostalgic Romance & Friendship In “Reply 1997”,
- How Lee Min Ho Has Been Gifting Fans With K-Drama Boyfriends That Magically Cures Stress Every Time
Adored by fans, Lee Min Ho has been returning the love he is getting through memorable projects in the last 10 years. As one of the most sought after Korean actors, he has an impressive portfolio of top-rating and popular series.
- #HAPPYDAWONDAY: 9 Times SF9’s Dawon Made Us Say “Wow”
SF9’s Dawon is a man of many talents: heavenly voice and dancing skills are proof enough. To appreciate his special presence during his special day, here are nine moments SF9’s Dawon had made us say “Wow!”
- 5 Cute NU’EST Pre-debut Appearances You Need To Know By Now
No rookie in the K-pop industry, NU’EST has been making music since 2012. With all their hardships through the years, the Pledis boys have only started to reap the fruit of their success.