K-News Weekly Headlines: X1 Unveils Debut Details, Kang Daniel Breaks Records With Solo Debut, Sulli To Cameo In “Hotel Del Luna”
Thrilling feats and upcoming releases from your favorite idols plus teasers of upcoming K-Dramas sum up Korean entertainment news for the last week of July.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from July 28 to August 3
- Kang Daniel: Color On Me Fan Meeting Adds Special Treats For Singapore Fans
UnUsUaL Entertainment just announced additional fan benefits to be included on the first fan meeting of Kang Daniel. Happening on August 16, 8PM at Singapore Indoor Stadium, the well-loved idol will stage his first fan meeting in Singapore.
- Former Produce X 101 Trainee Lee Se Jin To Hold His First Fan Meeting In Seoul
Lee Se Jin will be meeting with national producers who avidly showered him with love and support! Titled The Se Jin, it will mark the first time the iMe Korea trainee will hold a solo fan meeting. The event will take place on August 18 at 3 PM KST. Its venue is set to be revealed soon.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- Lee Sung Kyung Talks About Swag, Favorites, & Whether There Will Be A “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo” Season 2
The tall and beautiful actress had a press conference in Manila on the day of her arrival, July 26. And the actress did not disappoint. She appeared like a sweet angel and her fans were left in awe. The crowd roared with appreciation as she flashed her signature “swag” pose.
- Cha Sun Woo Holds First Fan Meeting Before Enlistment, Receives A Pleasant Surprise
In preparation to his pending enlistment, Cha Sun Woo prepared a lot of special activities for an evening with his fans. The actor held the Cha Sun Woo: 1st Fan Meeting at the White Hall of the White Horse Art Center on July 26.
- Kang Daniel Successfully Wraps Up First Solo Fan Signing Events In Korea
For the past few days, Kang Daniel has been returning the love and support which his fans gave him through a set of numerous fan signing events all around Korea. Following his much-awaited solo debut, the multi-talented idol is making sure to meet his fans who show him utmost love and support.
K-Pop News Corner
- INFINITE’s Sung Jong Reveals Military Enlistment In Handwritten Letter To Fans
The group’s maknae shook INFINITE’s entire fandom as he dropped a surprise announcement – revealing that he has already enlisted as a public service worker on July 22. His handwritten letter, which talks about how he quietly enlisted, was posted on his personal Instagram account.
- Kang Daniel Breaks Records With Color On Me
Kang Daniel officially took home the title of 2019’s top-grossing soloist based on first-day album sales on Hanteo! After officially becoming the top-selling soloist in terms of first-day sales earlier, the multi-talented idol was able to also take home the best first-week sales among all soloists.
- GOT7’s Jackson Unveils His Wax Figure For Madame Tussauds Hong Kong
GOT7’s Jackson has finally proudly showed off his life-size wax figure at Madame Tussauds Hong Kong on July 30! He made another one of his dreams officially come true as the famous wax museum chain showed the public his wax figure twin through an unveiling event in Hong Kong at last.
- Former Produce X 101 Trainee Lee Hyeop Signs With Woollim Entertainment
Talented aspiring singer Lee Hyeop signed with Woollim Entertainment on July 29. The Produce X 101 contestant said goodbye to his “independent trainee” status as he officially signed with an agency for his future activities.
- BigHit Entertainment And Source Music Become One In New Venture
Recently, Big Hit Entertainment obtained the shares of Source Music. With this merger, it is expected for the artists of both agencies to shine brighter in the music industry.
- CIX Becomes Second Fastest Group To Earn Music Show Win After Debut
CIX goes up in rookie history as the second fastest K-Pop group to ever earn a music show win following their debut! The five boys bagged their first music show win on The Show, seven days after they officially debuted.
- STARSHIPZ’s Ham Won Jin, Koo Jung Mo and Moon Hyun Bin To Communicate With Fans In First Vlive
Ham Won Jin, Koo Jung Mo and Moon Hyun Bin of STARSHIPZ, will have a special broadcast through Naver’s V App on July 31 at 8:00 PM KST. Fans can get to know more about these trainees, who recently gained attention through their participation in the recently concluded Produce X 101.
- EXO-SC And Taeyeon Soar To The Top Of The Gaon Weekly Charts
On August 1, the Gaon Chart unveiled its weekly chart for July 21 to 27, which was dominated by SM Entertainment’s Taeyeon With “A Poem Titled ‘You’” and EXO-SC With “What A Life”.
- NCT DREAM’s Renjun Announced To Be Special DJ
On NCT’s official Instagram and Twitter account, it was announced that Renjun of NCT DREAM would be the special DJ for TBS radio station. The radio show “Akdong Seoul” begins on August 5 and is set to continue for two months.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- ITZY Presents A Major Confidence Boost With “Icy” Comeback Music Video
Earlier in the year, ITZY made rookie history with their debut single, “Dalla Dalla”. On July 29, the release of their first comeback single, “Icy”, marked the continuing journey of the five girls towards the top of the Hallyu charts.
- SEVENTEEN Releases First Set Of Comeback Teaser Photos
SEVENTEEN further counts down closer to their comeback with a set of cool teaser photos for An Ode To You 1: Unchained Melody. On the midnight of August 3, SEVENTEEN added a music video teaser to the already intense series of teasers.
- MAMAMOO’s Moonbyul And HA:TFELT Team Up For Amoeba Culture’s Latest Collaboration Project
This August, HA:TFELT and MAMAMOO’s Moonbyul are teaming up for a unique release! The two have been brought together by Amoeba Culture’s newest collaboration project, which aims to pair up artists from different genres.
- Jeong Se Woon Serenades Fans In Live Video For Newest Track “When You Call My Name”
After treating fans with a surprise new digital single, Jeong Se Woon gifted a live video of it to match on July 30! Titled “When You Call My Name”, the honey-voiced singer’s newest release marked a new pop ballad that sends delight to fans with its heartwarming melody.
- WINNER’s Kim Jin Woo Releases Concept Board Poster For Solo Debut
Kim Jin Woo, also known as Jinu, will be releasing his solo song soon. In official blog and SNS posts, YG Entertainment announced this next step in Jinu’s career as an artist and a teaser poster featuring elements related to him.
- Ong Seong Wu To Melt Fans’ Hearts With Soundtrack For At Eighteen
Ong Seong Wu would lend his beautiful voice to a new OST for his drama At Eighteen! Titled “The Story Of Our Meeting”, the song was scheduled to be released on August 5 through major music sites. Additionally, its softness evokes more emotions compared to songs that rely on strong sounds and beats.
- X1 To Take Off Soon With Debut Mini-Album Quantum Leap
The new eleven-member boy group from the Produce series continues to rev up excitement as they prepare to take great heights for their nearing debut. Recently, the boys revealed further details about their upcoming arrival with a mini-album – whose title is set to be Quantum Leap.
- SEVENTEEN’s Vernon Hooks Fans In “Looped Up” Collaboration With Tobi Lou
SEVENTEEN’s Vernon and Tobi Lou finally revealed the new cool track they teamed up for on August 2! Titled “Looped Up”, the song easily hooks fans in right from their first listen – with its refreshing beat perfect for overcoming the summer heat.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Review: The Wind Blows, Search: WWW
- K-Drama Premiere: At Eighteen
- K-Drama Sneak Peek: When The Devil Calls Your Name, I Wanna Hear Your Song
- K-Drama Couch Recap – Hotel del Luna: Episode 5
- K-Drama Couch Recap – Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung: Episode 5, Episode 6
- Ok Taecyeon and Lee Yeon Hee’s Newest MBC Drama
Ok Taecyeon and Lee Yeon Hee will make their small screen comeback via a new MBC drama which eyes early 2020 broadcast.
- Variety Show Naturally Debuts Official Posters And Video Teaser
Veterans Eun Ji Won and Kim Jong Min will reunite for MBN’s newest variety show, Naturally (literal title). On July 28, MBN released the official poster for the variety show, featuring a countryside vibe and the four cast members resting comfortably on a stone wall.
- Lee Yi Kyung Extends Contract With BH Entertainment, Eyes More Commendable Future Projects
The actor recently renewed his contract with his existing agency, HB Entertainment. Additionally, tvN released stills of the actor’s recent cameo on Hotel Del Luna, where he portrayed the role of Bang Tae Woo.
- Jung Eun Chae Signs Under Keyeast Entertainment, Gears Up For The King: The Eternal Monarch
On July 30, Key East Entertainment announced that Jung Eun Chae signed a contract with them. In the latter part of 2019, she is set to join The King: The Eternal Monarch starring Lee Min Ho in 2020.
- Sulli Joins List Of Stars Doing Cameo Roles For tvN’s Hotel Del Luna
SM Entertainment made the special announcement that Sulli will be appearing in the 10th episode of the drama. No news was released as to what role Sulli will take on, but the agency announced that her special cameo role will air on August 10.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- MONSTA X Kickstarts August With Upcoming Good Morning America Appearance
MONSTA X took their powerful performances to the stage of Good Morning America this August! Besides giving Monbebes delightful morning greetings, the septet captivated everyone with their various charms and adorable answers and messages.
- Choi Tae Joon Set To Enlist In August
On July 30, the actor’s agency, Fai Brothers Korea, announced he will be entering boot camp on August 1. The actor received the fourth grade because of health reasons, and so will be taking alternative services as a social worker.
- MONSTA X Excitedly Drives To Jeju Island In Teaser Video For New Reality Show
On July 29, U Plus Idol Live gave Monbebes a rush of excitement as it reviewed a teaser for the boy group’s upcoming reality show! Titled MONSTA X in Jeju, the show has long been awaited by fans after the group’s seven members were spotted filming in Jeju Island in the past.
- MONSTA X Discusses Which Song They Would Recommend To Aliens, English Phrases Learned During Tour, And More
From alien song recommendations to the words they learned during touring, MONSTA X answered all questions sent in by fans for their latest interview with Most Requested Live. The boy group recently sat down for the radio show’s Ask Anything Chat segment to respond to fan questions.
- Kang Daniel Previews Upcoming CF As New Face Of Korea Telecom Through Behind-The-Scene Teasers
CF King Kang Daniel has been selected as the newest endorser of Korea Telecom – and he is already filming a commercial film set to be released soon! Knowing how much excitement this would bring to fans, KONNECT Entertainment gifted previews from the shoot’s behind-the-scene takes.
- MONSTA X’s Shownu And Wonho Brim With Smiles In Behind-The-Scenes Clip For Elle Korea X Tom Ford
Elle Korea shared a behind-the-scenes clip during the photoshoot of MONSTA X’s Shownu and Wonho for its August issue. Although their photos on the magazine looked extra polished and sophisticated, the two singers showed more of their cute and goofy sides in between the takes.
- GOT7’s Jackson Shows Captivating Visuals As The Newest Face Of Armani Beauty
GOT7’s Jackson has added another luxury brand to his growing list of endorsements as he becomes the newest face of Armani Beauty! The rapper captivated fans with his gorgeous posters as the newest brand ambassador for Armani Beauty.
- August 2019 Korean Drama Releases: “Welcome 2 Life”, “Strangers From Hell” & More
Interestingly, the themes of the upcoming roster take on different genres from fantasy, romance, to thrillers. Additionally, the lineup is leaning more to hero-centric stories set in fresh workplace setting.
- Hallyu Star Spotlight: 7 Times We Adored Jo In Sung For His Spontaneous Cuteness
Award-winning Korean actor Jo In Sung just turned 39 (Korean Age) on July 28 and we simply cannot stop adoring his almost perfect personality. Before his birth month ends, join us as we celebrate his natal day by looking back on his previous TV guestings.
- 4 NOIR Performances That Will Leave You Starstruck
Since their debut, NOIR has been slowly and firmly charming listeners through their fiery stages and powerful vocals. To help Lumieres prepare for the phenomenal showcase that these boys will surely bring to the stage, we have wrapped up five of NOIR’s performances that left us starstruck.
How does this story make you feel?