K-News Weekly Headlines: EXO’s D.O. Military Enlistment, Lee Hi Dominates Music Charts, New June 2019 Korean Dramas & More
We are entering June with an assortment of new music and phenomenal live performances from your favorite idols, and thrilling updates from Produce X 101.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from May 26 to June 1.
- PENTAGON To Bring PRISM To Singapore In November
Following their 1st showcase in Singapore Kallang Theatre in June 2017, PENTAGON is coming back to Singapore with their first full concert 2019 PENTAGON World Tour, titled PRISM.
- Sung Hoon To Have A Secret Date With Japanese Fans
Aptly called My Secret Date in Japan, Sung Hoon’s fan meetings promise a fun and romantic time with the handsome actor. According to his agency Stallion Entertainment, the fan gatherings will be held at ZEPP Tokyo on May 30th.
- EXO PLANET #5 – EXplOration In Seoul
After such a long wait, EXO finally announced that they will be holding the fifth installation for their EXO PLANET concert series! Titled EXO PLANET #5 – EXplOration, the concert series will be held at the KSPO Dome in Seoul Olympic Park from July 19 to 21 and July 26 t0 28.
- 2019 NOIR Meet & Live Tour “The Ninth” In The Philippines
FanLive got Philippine Lumieres up their feet and excited as it announced the third return of NOIR in the archipelago for their 2019 NOIR Meet & Live Tour “The Ninth” in the Philippines.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- Super Charming Memories Shared At Seo Kang Jun Live In Manila
Streaks of fun games, dashes of spontaneous charms and scoops of sweet serenades made up the sweet concoction brewed at The Last Charm: Seo Kang Jun Live in Manila.
- HallyuPopFest 2019 Day 2
Deafening screams and colorful flashing lights filled the National Stadium on the HallyuPopFest 2019 Finale on May 26.
- TXT Successfully Wraps Up Sold-Out Debut Showcase Tour In US
South Korean rookie boy group TXT (Tomorrow X Together) has successfully wrapped up their SHOWCASE: STAR in US as they graced the stage in Los Angeles’ The Novo on May 24.
- TWICE Kicks Off World Tour With A Two-Day Party In Seoul
South Korean girl group TWICE has officially started their TWICE WORLD TOUR 2019 ′TWICELIGHTS’ with fancy concerts in Seoul. The nonet was able to perform at the KSPO Dome at the Olympic Park for a two-day party on May 25 and 26.
- MONSTA X, Super Junior, Pentagon, KARD & (G)I-DLE Fire Up The Finale Of HallyuPopFest 2019
Deafening screams and colorful flashing lights filled the National Stadium on the HallyuPopFest 2019 Finale on May 26. The two-day event ended up with 180 minutes of non-stop fiery stages from five powerful K-Pop groups.
- BTS Lights Up The Britain’s Got Talent Stage With “Boy With Luv”
Lighting up the stage of the famous television talent show in the United Kingdom, BTS amazed the crowd with a stunning performance of their latest record-breaking track “Boy With Luv”.
- Jung Il Woo Brings Joy To Japanese Fans In Recent Fan Meetings
Signaling the start of his Asian fan meeting tour, Jung Il Woo visited Tokyo on May 24 and Osaka on May 25. Both events of 2019 Jung Il Woo Asia Fan Meeting HIM, were met enthusiastically by the fans of the actor who fervently wished for his visit.
- MONSTA X Sets Off To Begin June With World Tour’s First Overseas Stop In Bangkok
MONSTA X has officially signaled the start for their 2019 MONSTA X WE ARE HERE WORLD TOUR‘s overseas leg as they depart from South Korea to Bangkok for a show this June.
K-Pop News Corner
- Produce X 101 Recap: Group X Battle Continues + Benefit Points Shake Up Individual Ranks, First Ranking Ceremony Names Kim Yo Han As Top Trainee
- BTS Releases Exciting Timeline For 2019 BTS Festa
To celebrate their sixth year of music-making, the septet will be holding BTS Festa, where they will be gifting their ARMYs special content leading up to their anniversary. This year’s Festa will be a ten day celebration, beginning on June 3 and ending on June 13.
- MONSTA X Signs With American Label Epic Records
On May 29, MONSTA X announced that they have officially signed with the Los Angeles-based company Epic Records! The group stepped up their efforts to expand their global market by joining the same label which represents artists like DJ Khaled, 21 Savage, Camila Cabello, and more.
- Kim Jae Hwan Takes Home First Solo Music Show Win With “Begin Again”
Though a day late of his birthday celebration, South Korean singer Kim Jae Hwan has received a wonderful gift as he bagged his first ever music show win as a soloist on May 28.
- Celeb Alarm Releases Sweet Wake-Up Calls Featuring MONSTA X’s Kihyun And I.M, SEVENTEEN’s Hoshi And Mingyu, And More
Gathering a total of thirteen idols, Celeb Alarm will make waking up not just easy, but also extremely delightful and enjoyable with sweet wake-up calls made especially for fans.
K-Pop News Comeback News And Updates
- Ong Seong Wu To Release A Song Produced By Flow Blow
Fantagio Music has finally revealed the details for Ong Seong Wu’s first-ever solo song. Through teaser clips unveiled by Fantagio Music and Starship Entertainment, the song’s title was revealed to be “Heart Sign”, which would be a part of the project named The Love of Summer: The Story.
- WJSN Blooms In Charming For The Summer Concept Material
WJSN is ready to grace summer with new music as they prepare to release their special album, For The Summer. To help fans get excited, the girl group released a charming parade of concept photos, a secret film and a tracklist.
- YoonA’s A Walk To Remember Promises Two Emotional And Reminiscent New Songs
The countdown to a special album from YoonA is winding down, and the singer is pulling out all the stops. After unveiling a brand new set of enthralling teaser photos, she is kicking things into high gear by talking about the new songs included in her upcoming album.
- Lee Hi Makes Long-Awaited Comeback With 24 ℃
After releasing the last of her comeback teasers, Lee Hi makes her long-awaited comeback with 24 ℃. Despite her long absence, Lee Hi went on to take the number one spots on seven music charts in South Korea, including Soribada, Bugs, Melon, Genie, and more on May 31.
- JYP Entertainment Confirms Stray Kids Is Gearing Up For Their Next Comeback
JYP Entertainment officially shared on May 29 that Stray Kids is currently preparing for their next release following the success of “Miroh”! Aiming for another powerful and attention-stealing musical release, the nine-member group has already begun preparing their second comeback for 2019.
- Super Junior’s Yesung Commences Preparations For Solo Comeback
On May 30, Super Junior’s Yesung confirmed his scheduled comeback next month by officially beginning his preparations. The Super Junior member has started prepping for his solo release set to be dropped in June, with the commencement of his comeback music video’s filming on May 30.
- TWICE’s Songwriter David Amber To Release New Track With YouTuber Wengie
Songwriter David Amber, who was behind some of TWICE’s best bops, is gearing up to produce yet another solid track. Titled “Talk Talk”, the song will feature a K-Pop star and YouTuber Wengie. It is scheduled to be released on June 1.
- NCT DREAM Gears Up For A Collaboration With HRVY
NCT DREAM members will once again show off their charming vocals in a collaboration with British singer HRVY for SM Entertainment’s digital music project SM Station. NCT DREAM and HRVY will release the song “Don’t Need Your Love” on June 6.
- Ha Sung Woon Announces Next Scheduled Takeoff With Second Digital Single
Ha Sung Woon opened the month of June with a delightful special announcement that surprised his fans. On the midnight of June 1, the HOTSHOT and former Wanna One member announced the upcoming release of his second digital single as a soloist.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Couch Recap – One Spring Night: Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3 and Episode 4
- K-Drama Premiere: Angel’s Last Mission: Love,
- K-Drama Review: Confession, He is Psychometric, My Fellow Citizens
- K-Drama Sneak Peek: Perfume
- One Spring Night Tops Most Popular TV Drama And Actor On Its Premiere Week
Dethroning the reign of Her Private Life, MBC’s One Spring Night easily slips in to the viewers’ hearts with its sincere love storytelling. According to the released data from Good Data Corporation, the new drama sailed off to a great start dominating both the most popular drama and actor categories.
- Character Photo Teasers For Rookie Historian Goo Hae Ryung Revealed
The official photos released, showcased the stunning visuals of Cha Eun Woo and Shin Se Kyung heightening viewers’ anticipation. In one photo, the two lovingly gaze at each other with knowing smiles. Additionally, individual images of Cha and Shin tantalizes with their beautiful features.
- Ji Chang Wook To Appear On Variety Show The Fisherman And The City
Ready to cast his fishing pole, Ji Chang Wook embarks on a fishing trip on the 91st episode of The Fisherman and the City. In the released video teaser, the actor was shown on a streak with his catch even when he is a fishing newbie.
- Lee Seung Gi And Lee Seo Jin To Star In A Brand New Environmental Variety Show
Entitled Little Forest, Lee Seung Gi And Lee Seo Jin will reunite in this unique variety offering. The two men are famous for their close bond, which they have demonstrated in the past. Despite their age difference, they have remained close friends after meeting in the same agency.
- Jung Eun Ji Sails To Sydney For Travel Entertainment Show
Embarking on a solo travel adventure, the talented singer-actress leaves in late June to film in Australia. The Lifetime reality show is a travel program that will feature the actress enjoying her vacation in the land down under.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Bong Joon Ho’s Parasite Achieves 2019 Cannes Film Festival’s Palme d’Or
Widely regarded as one of the world’s most prestigious film award, South Korea’s first Palme d’Or ripples celebration from its creators, actors and film enthusiasts. President Moon Jae In also extended heartfelt congratulation to Bong Joon Ho’s film through social media.
- 2PM’s Junho And Chansung To Set Off For Military Enlistment
On May 28, JYP Entertainment confirmed 2PM’s Junho will be enlisting into the military before May comes to an end. Additionally, idol and actor Chansung will be entering the boot camp very soon to finally fulfill his mandatory military service.
- Lee Sung Kyung And Ra Mi Ran Bring In Over 1.5 Million Moviegoers For Girl Cops
The newest hit Korean movie, Girl Cops, has brought in over 1.5 million moviegoers from the latest South Korean box office tally. This is a huge feat for both Lee and her co-star Ra Mi Ran.
- Akdong Musician’s Lee Chan Hyuk Discharged From Military
After almost 21 months of waiting, South Korean singer and songwriter Lee Chan Hyuk has been officially discharged from his mandatory military service on May 29. Walking shyly, the talented idol gave his warm greetings to everyone with his bright smile.
- Spring Films Scores Significant Achievement Through Joint Korean-Filipino Film Sunshine Family
Famed for bringing Kimmy Dora trilogy and Kita Kita, the Philippine-based studio scales new heights with its latest venture, Sunshine Family. After securing a ground-breaking partnership with Korean studio FILM LINE Picture Productions LTD, a Filipino-Korean co-production was conceived.
- EXO’s D.O. To Enlist For Military Service In July
Confirming D.O.’s entry to military camp, SM Entertainment reveals the start date of the singer-actor’s military conscription to be on the first of July. After discussing with SM Entertainment and EXO members, Do Kyung Soo decided to join the active service and recently submitted his application.
- LM Entertainment Filed Appeal Regarding Kang Daniel’s Contract Suspension
On May 30, it was revealed that LM Entertainment filed an appeal regarding the court’s earlier decision to suspend the contract of Kang Daniel with them. Despite losing against the former Wanna One member who filed a court case against them for breach of contract, LM Entertainment is apparently continuing to fight for their side.
K-Photo Reels: Bang Min Ah for Esquire Magazine’s June 2019 Issue, Jung So Min For Grazia Magazine’s June 2019 Issue, Park Shin Hye For Harper’s Bazaar China June 2019 Issue, Im Si Wan For The Star Magazine June 2019 Issue,
- MONSTA X Reveals The Sweet Reason Why They’re Grateful For Their Recent Collabs
With the great and loaded start their year had gotten, MONSTA X made a heartwarming revelation of what makes them extremely grateful for their recent projects.
- GOT7 Shares Thoughts And Feeelings About Reuniting After Quite A Long Time
After making their much-awaited comeback in May 2019, the members of GOT7 admit that Ahgases were not alone in missing the group with all their hearts – because they all also missed each other thanks to the considerably long time they spent apart.
- June 2019 Korean Drama Releases: “Arthdal Chronicles”, “Partners For Justice 2”, “The President’s Aide” & More
Joining the existing lineup which is predominantly leaning on romance genre, exciting additions to 2019 Korean dramas of thrilling premise begin its bid in the first two weeks of June.
- Idol List: 10 Male K-Pop Idols Who Looked Brilliant In Blue Hair
The world of K-Pop is indeed colorful, and one of the reasons behind it is the varying hues and shades fans can see on their favorite idols on a regular basis. For this edition of Idol List, we bring you ten male K-Pop idols who looked brilliant in blue hair.
- Hallyu Star Spotlight: Here’s Why A Secret Crush On Sung Hoon Shouldn’t Be Kept A Secret Anymore
He has the perfect smoldering gaze meant to melt even the hardest of hearts. Sung Hoon is the epitome of masculinity. He’s strong enough to defend his woman, and that’s why his fans are all crazy over him.
Join us next week for another set of Korean entertainment news roundup.