Baekhyun, IU, BTS, BLACKPINK, SEVENTEEN & More Winners At “10th Gaon Chart Music Awards”
A big round of applause to all K-Pop stars who brought home glory and precious commendations during the recently held 10th Gaon Chart Music Awards!
The 10th Gaon Chart Music Awards has recently recognized some of the biggest and celebrated names in K-Pop this year, along with their chart-topping music and contributions.
Hosted by Super Junior’s Leeteuk and ITZY’s Lia, the awards ceremony aired on January 13 at 7 PM KST via YouTube, Mnet, Mubeat and Amazer. Jae Jae and Joo Younghoon also accompanied the hosts in presenting the victors, who glimmered brightly in 2020.
Following COVID-19 guidelines, the event took place with no live audience and performances from the awardees. Instead, the winners filmed their acceptance speeches in advance to prevent possible close contact between staff and artists.
Moreover, the online gathering also focused on the artist’s background and essential contributions to the K-Pop industry for the past year.
ARTISTS OF THE YEAR
Known for its extensive list of victors, the prestigious show named 12 Songs of The Year, corresponding to each month of 2020. These songs further paved the way for Hallyu music’s worldwide acknowledgement and appreciation.
The winning artists and their lead tracks for the first half of the year were Red Velvet’s “Psycho,” Zico’s “Any song,” BTS’ “ON,” M.C the MAX’s – “BLOOM”, Oh My Girl’s “Nonstop,” IU’s “eight (prod. & feat. Suga of BTS)” and BLACKPINK’s “How You Like That.”
Moreover, the performers who conquered the second half of 2020 were Zico’s “Summer Hate (featuring Rain)” for July, BTS’s “Dynamite” for August Chungha, & Christopher’s “Bad Boy” for September, BLACKPINK’s “Lovesick Girls” for October and
BTS’s “Life Goes On” for November.
Starting the year with a blast, BTS was also recognized for the massive commercial success of their album Map of the Soul: 7. The dazzling group was also able to dominate the last quarter of the year by scoring the same award for BE.
Demonstrating his huge popularity and legendary influence, Baekhyun of best-selling boy group EXO also held the second quarter of 2020 between his hands with his iconic album Delight.
Meanwhile, SEVENTEEN also proved their continuous growth by owning the third quarter with their seventh mini-album Heng:garae.
Check out the other idols and artists who shone the brightest at the 10th Gaon Chart Music Awards:
- Retail Album of the Year: BTS’s “Map of the Soul: 7”
- Hot Performance of the Year: IZ*ONE & Stray Kids
- Rookies of the Year: aespa (Digital division), ENHYPEN (Physical album division)
- Social Hot Star of the Year: BLACKPINK
- Music Steady Seller of the Year: IU’s “Blueming”
- Record Production of the Year Award: Changmo & AMBITION MUSIK
- Mubeat Global Choice Award: Im Young Woong & BLACKPINK
- Discovery of the Year: Young Tak
- Top Kit Seller of the Year: NCT
- World Hallyu Star Award: NCT
- World K-Pop Rookie: ATEEZ, ITZY
- Lyricist of the Year: IU
- Composer of the Year: Pop Time
- Performer of the Year: Young (Instrumental performance), Kriz (Chorus)
- K-Pop Contribution Award: Lee Soo Man
- Popular Singer of the Year: Hwang In Wook
- Style of the Year: Son Sung Deuk (Choreography); Kim Bal Ko, Park Min Hee (Stylist)
- International Rising Star of the Year: TONES AND I
Source: Herald Pop
Photos from SM Entertainment, Big Hit Entertainment and Pledis Entertainment