Who is the ultimate digital queen?
Who deserves the number one spot for K-pop’s top girl group is debatable, but when it comes to the question of who the digital queen is, the numbers say it all.
If you’re a K-pop fan, you must know about the importance of physical album and digital music sales: as they are the two most important factors of a music show’s ranking calculation. While physical album sales indicate the size of a group’s fandom, the digital sales suggests a group’s popularity among the general public. Even though album sales are important, the main factor contributing towards a group’s ranking on a music show are its digital sales.
Every time a group makes its comeback, the word “all-kill” is constantly thrown around. However, the question is: who is the ultimate digital queen? Below is the ranking of girl groups according to their longest streak at #1 on online music portals.
1. Wonder Girls‘ Tell Me (7 weeks)
2. Wonder Girls’ Nobody (6 weeks)
3. 2NE1‘s Lollipop (5 weeks)
4. Brown Eyed Girls‘ Love,Wonder Girls’ So Hot, Girls’ Generation‘s Gee, Davichi‘s 8282, 2NE1’s Fire and I Don’t Care, After School‘s Because of You, miss A‘s Bad Girl Good Girl (4 weeks)
5. Brown Eyed Girls’ Abracadabra, T-ara‘s Crazy Because of You (3 weeks)
6. Wonder Girls’ 2 Different Tears and Be My Baby, Girls’ Generation’s Oh!, Davichi’s Letter, 2NE1’s Go Away, Lonely and Ugly, T-ara’s TTL and Lovey Dovey, SISTAR‘s Alone and Give it to Me, SISTAR19‘s Gone Not Around Any Longer, 4minute‘s What’s Your Name, Girl’s Day‘s Something (2 weeks)
It turns out the Wonder Girls is the ultimate digital queen. The group has many hit songs topping the online charts, proving itself to be a digital monster. 2NE1 is also a strong competitor in the digital sales category.
How important do you believe a group’s digital sale power is in determining its popularity?
Sources: (News & Photo) – MBN via Naver
How does this story make you feel?