K-News Weekly Headlines: Kang Daniel’s Solo Debut Date, Kangin’s Departure From Super Junior + “One Spring Night” Finale
This week has been met with exciting comeback news, record-breaking feats from K-Pop idols, and thrilling K-Drama premieres and finales.
Catch up to Korean entertainment news with ease as we summarize what happened each week. Stay regularly updated with your favorite artists and bias by following this segment closely with us!
This weekly digest will cover K-Pop comebacks, album releases, and Korean drama news, reviews and updates. Relevant news on Korean entertainment such as celebrity buzz, film and box office information, as well as concert tours and fan meetings will also be included.
*Covers Korean entertainment news from July 7 to 13
- Running Man To Meet Indonesian Fans After Five Years With Complete Members
Running Man members will gift their Indonesian supporters with a fan gathering titled, Running Man Keep On Running Live in Jakarta on August 17 at Istora Senaran. The SBS’ popular variety show fan meeting tour is planned to be held across Asia.
- Epik High Prepares Exclusive One-Night Only Performance For Singapore Fans
South Korea’s alternative hip-hop legend, Epik High will meet their Singapore fans for their first solo concert. The show is slated on September 14 at The Coliseum, Hard Rock Hotel Singapore, Resorts World in Sentosa.
- EXO Sets To Revisit Manila For EXO PLANET #5 – EXplOration Tour This August
EXO will be taking over the Philippine stage once again as they set out for the Manila stop of their newest world tour EXO PLANET #5 – EXplOration. Marking the fifth installment of their hit concert series, their latest world tour will hold its Manila stop on August 24, 2019 at the Mall of Asia Arena.
- MONSTA X Joins Explosive Lineup For iHeartRadio Music Festival In Las Vegas
MONSTA X will be landing at the upcoming iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas as the next addition to its explosive performer lineup! Shownu, Wonho, Minhyuk, Kihyun, Hyungwon, Joohoney, and I.M will be spicing up the Las Vegas stage on September 20 to 21 at the T Mobile Arena.
- Sung Si Kyung To Tour The USA For The First Time With The Song
At the end of August 2019, South Korea’s top ballad singer, Sung Si Kyung, will be embarking on his first tour across the USA. He will be making a total of six stops across America: Chicago, New York, Washington, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Honolulu.
- Yoo Seung Ho Makes His Birthday More Special This Year With A Fan Meeting
On August 17, the actor is set to return his fans’ unwavering support, with the 2019 Seungho’s Day 1st Fan Meeting: Only One at Seongsu Art Hall in Seoul. Expected to have an explosive reaction from his domestic fans, the actor is prepping up to showcase his various charms.
K-Concert And Fan Meeting Recaps
- BIGBANG’s T.O.P Gifts Supporters With Secret Fan Meeting After Military Service
Choi Seung Hyun (T.O.P) has completed the required days to fulfill his military service duty officially. While expected to come out with the local media on standby, he approached his loyal followers first, proving his gratefulness for the people who have given him strength unconditionally.
K-Pop News Corner
- Produce X 101 Recap: Concept Evaluation Team Reassignments And Return of Eliminated Trainee + Performances & Rankings, VICTON’s Choi Byung Chan To Exit From Produce X 101 Due To Increasing Pains from Injury
- DIA’s Jenny Announces Departure From Group Due To Osteomalacia
DIA’s Jenny greeted her fans for one last time as a member of her group before she officially departed with a letter. After undergoing many tests, she has been diagnosed with osteomalacia in her knee, which has rendered her unable to participate in activities for the group’s “NEWTRO” comeback.
- TWICE’s Dahyun To Also Sit Out From Group Event Along With Mina Due To Health Issues
Prior to the start of the Pocari Challenge Teen Festa event on July 7, the agency broke the unfortunate news about Dahyun having to sit out due to health issues. On July 5, JYP Entertainment also announced that Mina will not be participating in the same event due to current health issues as well.
- EXID’s Jeonghwa Signs Exclusive Contract With JWIDE-COMPANY
EXID alumni Jeonghwa is preparing for a new chapter in her life as she signs with JWIDE-COMPANY. The entertainment company confirmed that the singer will be joining their roster of talents through a statement released on July 8.
- BTS Sweeps All Top 5 Spots On Billboard’s World Digital Song Sales Chart This Week
BTS owned all the top five spots with several releases on Billboard’s World Digital Song Sales chart this week! The boy group impressively pushed off all other artists on this week’s top five best-selling digital singles worldwide as listed by Billboard, proving their unparalleled power once again!
- MONSTA X Tops Tower Records’ Best Selling Japan Singles Of K-Pop Artists Chart For 1st Half Of 2019
MONSTA X impressively swept the top two spots in Tower Records’ annual rankings of the best-selling Japanese singles from Korean artists at its stores for the first half of 2019, which was revealed recently.
- Kangin Announces Departure From Super Junior, Label SJ Respects Decision
On July 11, Kangin posted for the first time in a long while to announce his exit from Super Junior, a group he has been with for fourteen years. Label SJ, a subsidiary company under SM Entertainment responsible for all activities and endeavors of Super Junior, acknowledged Kangin’s decision.
- MONSTA X’s Hyungwon To Be Absent From Group’s Events Today Due To Health Issues
Prior to the start of MONSTA X’s scheduled appearance in Good Morning Britain, Starship Entertainment released an official statement indicating that vocalist and dancer Hyungwon will unfortunately be unable to take part in the group’s guesting.
- BTS World OST Topples 17-Year Best-selling Soundtrack Winter Sonata In Korea
The success of BTS World continues to amaze the music scene as its lineup of original soundtracks takes home a new nationwide record. With its sales record, the BTS World OST album has now become crowned as the “Best-selling Original Soundtrack (OST)” in Korea.
- Kang Daniel Wins Again As Court Denies LM Entertainment’s Appeal Regarding Contract Termination
The Seoul Central District Court announced on July 11 its decision to deny LM Entertainment’s appeal regarding the nullification of Kang Daniel’s contract. All ties are officially severed between the two parties as the court sides with the idol once more regarding his contract termination.
- TXT Holds Highest Position In Gaon Monthly Chart For Rookies In The First Half Of 2019
TXT made an impressive showing at the first half of the year wrap-up reports of Gaon and landed themselves as the highest-ranking rookies in terms of sales! Based on Gaon Chart’s half-year report, the album sold 186,525 units since its release, which is highest among all rookies who debuted from January to June 2019.
- BTS, EXO, & WINNER Take Top Three Spots In July Brand Rankings Among Male Groups
Unveiling the brand reputation rankings among boy idol groups for the month of July, the Korean Research Institute has named BTS, EXO, & WINNER as leading bands. The rankings were based on consumer participation, media, communication, and community indices.
K-Pop Comeback News And Updates
- Heize Narrates Unfortunate Love Story In Music Video For “We Don’t Talk Together”
After months of waiting, South Korean singer-songwriter Heize has finally returned with brand new music for her loving fans around the world. The beautiful and soulful star has justdropped the music video for her latest track “We Don’t Talk Together”.
- KNK Struts Elegant Teasers For Upcoming “S/S Collection” Comeback
KNK continues to gear up for their nearing comeback with teasers all set to walk the runway! The boy group is all set to fill July with their outstanding visuals and equally amazing talent as they make their return with a new single album!
- PENTAGON Teases SUM(ME:R) Comeback, Announces Special Premier Showcase
PENTAGON is returning to splash more good vibes this summer season with a new mini-album titled SUM(ME:R)! Additionally, Mnet announced that they will be holding a special Premier Showcase with the group.
- NCT Dream Comeback This July Is For Real, SM Entertainment Says
SM Entertainment confirmed on July 8 that NCT DREAM is joining the list of artists gearing up for a comeback later in the month too! Reports in the morning stated that the group is currently in the final stages of their comeback preparations.
- Ha Sung Woon Returns With “BLUE” Comeback Music Video
Ha Sung Woon whipped out his more mature side in his comeback music video for “BLUE” released on July 8 at 6 PM KST! Boasting of extremely beautiful aesthetics, the music video made sure to highlight the color in the title for each and every frame.
- NCT’s Taeyong To Take Off With SM Station This July, Releases Teaser Photos
NCT’s Taeyong will be the next runner for SM Station with a track taking off on July 18 at 6 PM KST. As he further counts down to its launch on July 18 at 6 PM KST, the rapper-dancer shared a few teaser photos for “Long Flight”.
- ATEEZ Shines In Celestially Dazzling “Aurora” Performance Video
ATEEZ dropped an immensely captivating performance video for their latest album TREASURE EP.3 : One To All‘s b-side track “Aurora” on July 8. The boy group showcased the celestially beautiful choreography for “Aurora” in the newest video they released at 6 PM KST.
- ITZY Coolly Announces July Comeback With Teaser Photos
ITZY has revealed details about their first-ever comeback scheduled this July – and it already sent chills to fans! Signaling their return, Yeji, Lia, Ryujin, Chaeryeong, and Yuna posed in two group concept photos which showed off their ice queen concept.
- SF9 Announces Upcoming “RPM” Japanese Version Release
SF9 will be releasing a Japanese version of their latest comeback track “RPM” – and its teasers are already sending fans’ hearts beating fast! The boy group is gearing up to treat Fantasies with the release of the Japanese version of “RPM” on September 11, marking their fifth single in the country.
- EXO’s Baekhyun Charms With “UN Village” Solo Debut Music Video, Breaks Records
EXO’s Baekhyun suavely pulled fans in with the tantalizing music video for his solo debut track “UN Village” on July 10 at 6 PM KST! His debut EP, garnered recorded 401,545 pre-order sales and topped international music charts.
- I.O.I Delays Scheduled Music Video Shoot, Assures Fans That Comeback Will Not Be Delayed
There are a few changes to I.O.I’s gameplan for their upcoming reunion as the group delays their music video shoot to ensure the quality of the comeback. The representative also reassured fans that this delay will not affect the planned comeback later this year.
- Kang Daniel Reveals His Final Solo Debut Date + Official Website Crashes Upon Announcement
On the midnight of July 11 KST, KONNECT Entertainment launched an official website for the idol which simply displayed a twenty-four hour countdown. The day after, Kang Daniel officially set the final date for his much-awaited solo debut.
- Day6 Unfolds Group And Individual Teaser Photos For The Book Of Us: Gravity Comeback
Day6 further counts down to their nearing comeback with new sets of teaser photos for The Book of Us: Gravity, their fifth mini-album and first comeback for 2019. The group further amplified the excitement for it by revealing two sets of photos for each member.
- NCT DREAM To Share Special Song As First Global Ambassadors Of World Scout Foundation
NCT DREAM has been selected as the first global ambassadors of the World Scout Foundation. In line with this, the group will release a new song, titled “Fireflies”, on July 15 at 6 PM KST. A part of the proceeds from the song will be used to support scout activities in low-income countries.
- SEVENTEEN Confirms Comeback Scheduled For August
Pledis Entertainment confirmed on July 12 that SEVENTEEN is spurring preparations to hold their comeback this August! Comeback plans are still currently being finalised, and the agency promised fans that they are preparing to make an announcement soon.
- EXO’s Sehun And Chanyeol Unveil Additional Details For Upcoming Mini Album What A Life
Now called EXO-SC, the pair has recently unveiled more details about the title tracks and the talents producing their sub-unit’s debut mini album. They are gearing up to make quite a smashing debut, and it is just as colorful as their teasers have been thus far.
- New Boy Group D1CE Sets To Make Official Debut This July
New boy group D1CE will be rolling along with the set of competitive rookies for 2019 as they prepare to make their debut this July! They will debut with a mini-album titled Wake Up: Roll the World. In preparation, they have already shared their teaser countdown schedule.
K-Drama News, Recaps, And Reviews
- K-Drama Premiere: Designated Survivor: 60 Days, Watcher, Love Affairs In The Afternoon
- K-Drama Review: The Secret Life Of My Secretary, One Spring Night
- K-Drama Mid-Series Review: Arthdal Chronicles
- 2PM’s Taecyeon Confirms Acting Comeback With New MBC Series
2PM’s Taecyeon is gearing up to make his small screen return with an upcoming MBC drama! On July 8, it was reported that Taecyeon is currently considering to make his acting comeback with the upcoming MBC drama The Game (working title).
- Gong Hyo Jin And Kang Ha Neul Primed To Bloom In New KBS2 Romance Drama
With its confirmed broadcast date sometime in September, the new KBS2 series starring Gong Hyo Jin and Kang Ha Neul aims to shower sweet vibes. Touted as a love-affirming spectacle, When Camellia Blooms aims to spin a romance story of whether a person can become a miracle to another.
- Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency Cast Holds First Table Read
Dropping some photos from the first table-read, jTBC aims to score another hit project through Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency. As the network’s first historical TV drama offering this season, all eyes are on its male-dominated cast of rising actors.
- Ji Chang Wook And Won Jin Ah Prep Up For Their Sweet Romance In Melting Me Softly
Raising fans’ anticipation, tvN released photos from the cast and crew of Melting Me Softly in their first meeting in July. For their love pairing, Ji Chang Wook and Won Jin Ah intend to show a memorable love tale based on the unique storyline.
- Hotel Del Luna Announces Artist Line-Up For Its Soundtrack
Hotel Del Luna further ups the anticipation for its premiere as it announces a stellar line-up for the soundtrack! Soundtrack producers Naym Naym Entertainment announced the talents who will be contributing their voices to the K-Drama’s upcoming soundtrack.
K-Celeb Film/TV News
- Ryu Jun Yeol Receives Rising Star Award At The “2019 New York Asian Film Festival”
Ryu Jun Yeol’s most recent work, Money, led to the invitation for the actor’s attendance at the 2019 New York Asian Film Festival Award at the Lincoln Center in New York. Citing his broad spectrum of performances in his accumulated filmography, he later received the “Rising Star Award”.
- The Boyz To Swing By Good Day New York As Special Guests
Cre.ker Entertainment confirmed the upcoming appearance of The Boyz on FOX5’s morning talk show Good Day New York! Along with sitting down to greet their fans and give delight with an interview, The Boyz will also be sharing a special performance of “No Air” for their guesting.
- MONSTA X Announces Upcoming Good Morning Britain Guest Appearance
MONSTA X will help Monbebes start their days right with their upcoming guesting on the British morning news show! The boy group will be taking their charms to the local British television scene as they set to make a guest appearance on Good Morning Britain!
- Lee Min Ho Receives Appointment As New PR Ambassador Of King Sejong Institute
Gracing the opening ceremony of the 2019 World Korean Language Educators Conference, Lee Min Ho marks another noteworthy deed for his country. As a popular Korean wave icon, the artist was chosen to contribute on King Sejong Institute’s project.
- 2PM’s Nichkhun, SF9’s Inseong, Stray Kids’ Seungmin And Kim Shin Young Gear Up As Hosts For KBS Show “WE K-POP”
KBS World will be launching its newest K-Pop program geared towards global fans on July 12. Titled We K-Pop, the program will take on the form of a variety show which gives K-Pop stars another avenue to perform, talk, and greet their fans.
- Kang Ji Hwan Apprehended For Allegations of Sexual Assault
Kang Ji Hwan was arrested without warrant on Tuesday night (July 9) at 10:50PM following a report of sexual assault and molestation. The police took the actor into custody at his home in Gwangju, Seoul.
- BTOB’s Peniel & Hyunsik Continue Their Journey In Hong Kong on tvN Asia’s My Dream Trip
tvN Asia’s latest original production, My Dream Trip, features Korean boy group BTOB members Peniel Shin and Im Hyunsik, completing challenges to make their travel buddies’ dream come true on their Hong Kong trip.
- Shinhwa’s Eric And Andy, Lee Min Jung And Jung Chae Yeon Are All Set For The Premiere Of The Barber Of Seville
Featuring a 53-year-old artisan barber, the best hair designers in Korea, and a top-star celebrity crew, MBC’s newest variety program aims to present an engaging show. It will provide fresh stories and know-hows to viewers with regard to cultural differences on haircut, hair styling and K-Beauty.
- Yoo Ah In And Park Shin Hye Mark Their First Collaboration Through #ALONE
As two of the most decorated actors of their generation, this movie pairing between Yoo Ah In and Park Shin Hye is highly-anticipated. It trudges on the story about a city that will be embroiled in a chaotic situation because of an infection.
- MONSTA X Cutely Cradles Puppies In Still Images For MONSTA X’s Puppy Days Variety Show
MONSTA X cutely cradled these puppies in their arms as they posed for the newest still photos from their variety show MONSTA X’s Puppy Days. The boy group surprised fans with a set of photos of the Bichon Frise puppies they bonded with for their newly-launched variety show.
- Super Junior’s Kim Heechul Expresses Desire To Get Married Before Turning 40 Years Old
While the celebrity mothers were busily praising their guest for his captivating visuals and attractive humor, Super Junior’s Heechul shared in between their talks that he would like to settle down before he reaches the age of 40.
- Kang Daniel Happily Greets Fans In Much-Awaited Public Appearance Along With Interview In Busan
Kang Daniel greeted his fans again after six months by making his first public appearance for his honorary ambassador appointment ceremony in Busan this July 9! He also expressed his feelings as a citizen-selected goodwill ambassador for Busan.
- Ong Seong Wu Signs With Beauty Brand KAT MACONIE As Newest Brand Model
Ong Seong Wu will be flaunting his gorgeous visuals as the newest face of the beauty brand KAT MACONIE! The newly-launched brand announced recently that it has signed an exclusive contract with the idol-actor as it gears up for its official launch on August 1.
- K-Pop Debut Look Back: When Girl’s Day Threw A Party With “Tilt My Head”
- All The Moments We’ve Enjoyed From MONSTA X’s UK Television Debut On Good Morning Britain